10 gallon aquarium.........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hb3133

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 20 gallon high FW community tank. The tank is filled with natural colored pebble substrate and plastic plants. It is stocked with the following fish:

6 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Black Neon Tetras
1 Orange thicked-lipped Gourami
3 Bronze Corydoras

My tank has been up for 1 year and I am very happy with it. The problem is that I would like to purchase a 10 gallon tank. I wish I could buy something bigger but my space is limited. So, to make a long story short, I have room for a 10 gallon tank but have no idea what to do with it. I would appreciate any suggestions or comments. The only requirement is that I would like to try my hand with a planted tank. I have no experience with aquatic plants but I know a low light tank would be best. Thanks!

I would get some Eco Complete or Flourite for substrate. They are better for the plants and will help keep them healthy.

A 10g should come with 2 screw-in incandescent bulbs. You should replace them with 2 compact fluorescent bulbs. They come in 10 watt bulbs (which is fine for low light) and go up to about 30 watts.

In my 10g planted I have a male betta, 6 harlies and an otto. Since you already have the harlies in another tank, I recommend a male betta (or dwarf gourami), 6 lemon tetras and a couple ottos.

I will be redoing mine soon and only going to have a pair of Apistogrammas in the tank.

Most small tetras are fine for the tank. A pair of German rams would work. A trio (1m/2f) of dwarf puffers would be great. It just depends on what you like!

Is Java Fern or Jave moss something compatible with a 10 gallon low light aquarium? I have read a few articles on on-line sites and they mention adding potassium. Will this be true? I was thinking of a Betta or another type of Gourami. I didn't know that a pair of German Rams would fit in a 10 gallon tank. Would the Rams be the only inhabitants or could I fit a bottom feeder x3?

Back
Top Bottom