10 gallon Betta sorority?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pawtrekker

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am currently setting up a 10 gallon tank and someone on another forum said I could try using it as a betta sorority tank. I love Bettas but I have never had females. I love the idea of a sorority tank IF it will work. Will a 10 gallon tank work for a sorority tank (seems iffy to me)? If so, how do I go about doing one? I know you need lots of hiding spots and I know you need at least 5 females to make it work. If I can't do a sorority tank, that's fine. I just thought I'd ask. :)

I know this because I was going to do a betta sorority at first. I was really excitged, but then my mom went against this. She wants livebearers (not endler's)

I just recently did a betta sorority in my 10 gal and it worked out effortlessly! I only had 4 female in my tank tho and it worked fine. You just want to make sure that in the tank there is tall plants (real or plastic) so that it can break the sight line across the tank if they are slightly aggressive with each other. Like you already mentioned, you also want hiding spots, caves, etc. when you get the girls, make sure to add them all at once, not one at a time as one might gain territory before the others. If you do add the one at a time, add them quickly! Float their cups in the tank to acclimate them then open there cups after 20 mins and let them all swim. Just keep a close eye on the tank, there will be chasing until they get a pecking order down! Once they all get used to each other, the girls will even swim together like a school. It's a very fun tank to do :) good luck I hope I helped

I love cories. I have some in my 20 gallon tank but I'm just not sure how I feel about putting 10 fish in a 10 gallon tank. Maybe I'll find another alge/bottom feeder to keep the tank clean. I can always put some shrimp in there too.

I just recently did a betta sorority in my 10 gal and it worked out effortlessly! I only had 4 female in my tank tho and it worked fine. You just want to make sure that in the tank there is tall plants (real or plastic) so that it can break the sight line across the tank if they are slightly aggressive with each other. Like you already mentioned, you also want hiding spots, caves, etc. when you get the girls, make sure to add them all at once, not one at a time as one might gain territory before the others. If you do add the one at a time, add them quickly! Float their cups in the tank to acclimate them then open there cups after 20 mins and let them all swim. Just keep a close eye on the tank, there will be chasing until they get a pecking order down! Once they all get used to each other, the girls will even swim together like a school. It's a very fun tank to do :) good luck I hope I helped

Thanks! That's very helpful and just the kind of advice I was looking for. :)

:p

+1
Very nice advice, bro!

I have a 20 gal with 5 female bettas. They are getting along great. There are 3 Red cherry shrimp in there with them.

Back
Top Bottom