Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

where can I find shrimp, and if I cant, anybody have other ideas

Old 08-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ottos are really cool, i plan on putting some in my betta tank

Old 08-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddballfan33 View Post
where can I find shrimp, and if I cant, anybody have other ideas

Most well-stocked LFS should have some. If not snails are always an alternative.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #14
New
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997 View Post
Most well-stocked LFS should have some. If not snails are always an alternative.
i agree, i love my snails
Old 08-16-2011, 01:58 AM   #15
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Ember tetras! Thet are pretty, bright, and peaceful. Also, they stay really small so a school can fit in a 10 gallon tank!
Old 08-16-2011, 02:08 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Location: Iowa USA land of the corn, beans, and cows oh my! I made that up in 2007
Get those cool glofish. They are genetically made to glow. No dies or nothing. And they pass their genes to their babies. I'm getting some for my 5gallon as soon as I move my goldfish from my tank to my sister's mom's goldfish pond.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:26 AM   #17
New
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggle88 View Post
Get those cool glofish. They are genetically made to glow. No dies or nothing. And they pass their genes to their babies. I'm getting some for my 5gallon as soon as I move my goldfish from my tank to my sister's mom's goldfish pond.
sister's mom's....wouldn't that be YOUR mom's aswell?
Old 08-16-2011, 02:48 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glofish are GMOs, genetically modified organisms. They have implanted in their DNA a gene found in jellyfish. It is true that this cannot be faded out, as it is in the DNA and not a dye. Glofish could possible work in a ten gallon, but will not be compatible with a betta. They are far too active and can become possible targets for the bettas aggression due to their colors.

Ember tetras, on the other hand, are a nano variety that is very well suited to a ten gallon, or so I have read. I have no experiance with them, but from what I have read on other forums (a quick Google search), it seems other people have kept them no problem.

There is the options of micro rasboras, they are more shy and also a nano-fish. They would not bug the betta and also be VERY at home in a planted tank. This is prefernced due to them being shy. A couple plants brings them out from hiding.

You could try scarlet badis, also. Any of the nano-fish should be fine in a ten gallon.

Honestly, you need to observe your betta's temperment before you add in ANYTHING. Some are perfectly compatible with any animal you throw in. Some will rip up anything, some will be picky with what they like and don't like.

When adding, watch very carefully for at least thirty minutes. Any signs of aggression, remove the animal and just return it.

How long have you had him?
Old 08-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #19
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady View Post
Maybe you are thinking about glofish? Ember tetras are naturally this way.
No, I meant ember tetras. I have them with a betta without issues. I agree with what you said about glofish.
It is a good idea to observe the bettas temperment. Good suggestion.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:59 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

To absolutangel- I am really sorry. I accidentally mixed your post with the next one down and thought you were claiming that ember tetras were GMOs. It's 3am and I should be asleep. Sorry!

Tags
10 gallon, betta, tan, tankmate, tankmates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com