10 gallon betta tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oddballfan33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a well planted 10 gallon tank with a lone betta. I would like some tankmates that are interesting, but dont steal the show from the betta. Any ideas?

Shrimp are always nice, either ghost or cherry. Is it a male or female betta?

I've had bettas in the past that killed every shrimp in the tank. And others that ignored the shrimp completely. So it depends entirely on the personality of the betta whether shrimp would work or not. But if your betta is tolerant of them, that would make a great choice.

Since ghost shrimp are larger than cherry shrimp, they might have a better chance. And since they are less colorful than cherrys, they are less apt to "steal the show" and distract from the betta.

Another option would be one or two of the larger (but non-breeding) snails, something like zebra nerite snails.

When I kept bettas, I kept them by themselves in up to 15 gallon tanks. They were happy. I was happy. Nobody died. ;)

sorry, no cories, I have no way of acquiring any of the pygmy cories, and I dont have a sand substrate anyway

Ember tetras! Thet are pretty, bright, and peaceful. Also, they stay really small so a school can fit in a 10 gallon tank!

Get those cool glofish. They are genetically made to glow. No dies or nothing. And they pass their genes to their babies. I'm getting some for my 5gallon as soon as I move my goldfish from my tank to my sister's mom's goldfish pond.

sister's mom's....wouldn't that be YOUR mom's aswell? :blink:

Glofish are GMOs, genetically modified organisms. They have implanted in their DNA a gene found in jellyfish. It is true that this cannot be faded out, as it is in the DNA and not a dye. Glofish could possible work in a ten gallon, but will not be compatible with a betta. They are far too active and can become possible targets for the bettas aggression due to their colors.

Ember tetras, on the other hand, are a nano variety that is very well suited to a ten gallon, or so I have read. I have no experiance with them, but from what I have read on other forums (a quick Google search), it seems other people have kept them no problem.

There is the options of micro rasboras, they are more shy and also a nano-fish. They would not bug the betta and also be VERY at home in a planted tank. This is prefernced due to them being shy. A couple plants brings them out from hiding.

You could try scarlet badis, also. Any of the nano-fish should be fine in a ten gallon.

Honestly, you need to observe your betta's temperment before you add in ANYTHING. Some are perfectly compatible with any animal you throw in. Some will rip up anything, some will be picky with what they like and don't like.

When adding, watch very carefully for at least thirty minutes. Any signs of aggression, remove the animal and just return it.

How long have you had him?

To absolutangel- I am really sorry. I accidentally mixed your post with the next one down and thought you were claiming that ember tetras were GMOs. It's 3am and I should be asleep. Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom