10 Gallon build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently remodeled my 10 gal from a gravel bottom, plastic plant tank into a sandy bottom and real plants.
img_1285786_0_9303886b5c0f95671ed2e9ed0c8c70cb.jpg

It's currently stocked with:
3x peppered corydoras
img_1285786_1_a18f17c02fcda410f8bd0435672e94fb.jpg

I put my (egg laying) mystery snail in that tank for a couple of weeks because the water level is a lot higher in the 10G than it is in the one the MS is normally housed in, and I was going on a spring break vacation and I didn't want my pet-sitter to have to deal with snail eggs.. And my cories were completely terrified of it. To the point where they wouldn't come out of the rock arch in the corner of the tank. I put the snail in another one of my tanks and now I'm thinking about permanent stocking for the tank.
Originally I was going to go with
3x peppered cories
3x jullii cories
and 5x serpae tetras

But now I think that wouldn't be sufficient since I've got about 4" of substrate in the tank (UGFs and sand don't mix).. And I think I'd rather go with 6 peppered corydoras rather than introducing a new species, since they seem to be rather shy.

so stocking ideas please!
6x Peppered Corydoras
&
One or two top swimmers. I was thinking maybe a honey or some other kind of dwarf gourami but what do you guys think?
I'm open to any fish as long as they're mid-top swimmers.
Thanks!
-Morgan

Hi Morgan,
A total of 6 Cories and 5 Serpaes would be overstocking your tank. Not to mention a Dwarf Gourami should really be housed in a 20 gallon.

I agree that it would make more sense for you to go with one species of Corydoras, as they need to be in shoals (4+ is recommended) but then adding 5 Serpaes is just too much. You do not have room for any top swimmers if you choose this stocking. According to AqAdvisor, your tank would be 134% stocked, which is a lot even considering the fact that that site is conservative.

I suggest having 4 Peppered Cories and then 6 Tetras of a much smaller species. Glowlights would work out great, that would stock your tank safely. Other suggestions are Ember Tetras, they also stay small.

Yeah, I realized that, especially with my level of substrate. I was just feeling pretty nostalgic for tetras, since I haven't had them in a long time.
I actually just got three more peppered cories, just because I don't think 4=school. I know AqAdvisor says they prefer to be kept in 4+, but I always take that site with a grain of salt. :>

I'm fine with having a cory-exclusive tank, but I'd also like to have something at the surface if possible.

Hm.. about the dwarf gouramis, really? I've kept them in less than 20G before and they've done fine.

Thanks for the advice. :>

Hi,
Okay, so you have the 6 Peppered Cories already? Yes, that will limit your stocking, but you can still have other fish if you don't choose schoolers. You could do a couple Platies, they are colorful, active, and will pretty much swim all over the tank. I'd suggest all one gender, of course! Guppies are also a great fish, they will mainly swim at the top, though. All males would be fine, I have three and they get along great.

If you don't like livebearers you still have Tetras as an option, but just stick with small ones. I'm a little weary with thinking about the bioload that tank could have, so just use common sense, as I'm sure you plan to, keep up with the maintenance, and use good filtration.
Serpaes are just too large. As for the DG, I usually say 20 minimum because of their temperament. They aren't aggressive but they are territorial. I suppose if you decided to keep it as x6 Cories and x1 DG it would be fine, though.

Oh, and P.S. about the Catfish. Yes, 4 isn't considered a school. It is considered a shoal. Cories will be fine in a shoal, but of course the more the better, and the more comfortable/active they will be. :)

Back
Top Bottom