10 gallon build/stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
could i get an adf or a better idea, could i make it a tank for a fire belly toad and put fish in the water

could i get an adf or a better idea, could i make it a tank for a fire belly toad and put fish in the water
IMO, firebellies need a bit more space than that. You could have a few ADF in there if you wanted. I asked about fish and ADF and was told by people who keep and breed ADF that its a bad idea to keep them with fish. The ADF are really slow at finding food and they are often out-competed for food by the fish, so its really in the best interest of the frogs to keep them with fish. Also, some fish will bully ADFs.

Some nano fish to consider are ember tetras, celestial pearl danios, dwarf gourami, scarlet badis, pygmy sunfish, or a dwarf puffer. You could also try a few platys.

absolutangel04 said:
IMO, firebellies need a bit more space than that. You could have a few ADF in there if you wanted. I asked about fish and ADF and was told by people who keep and breed ADF that its a bad idea to keep them with fish. The ADF are really slow at finding food and they are often out-competed for food by the fish, so its really in the best interest of the frogs to keep them with fish. Also, some fish will bully ADFs.

Some nano fish to consider are ember tetras, celestial pearl danios, dwarf gourami, scarlet badis, pygmy sunfish, or a dwarf puffer. You could also try a few platys.

Hahah sorry dude but i dont no what adf is.. Sorry

That definitaly limits ur options. If u want a puffer u can get 1 male, 1 female and ont otto or something

i could get a puffer???
Yes. You could get one of the species of dwarf puffer like a figure 8 puffer, not a green spotted puffer like you often see in petstore chains. However, that is all that could go in the tank IMO. Even small puffers make bad community dwellers. But, they have lots of personality and are very fun!
If you want 2, you could try it, but it would be pretty sketchy since they are pretty territorial. Some people have been able to keep an oto or 2 with them, but I wouldn't personally recommend it.

2 pea puffers of opposite sex and an otto i heard works good.. Idk tho
I am unfamiliar with pea puffers. So, I don't know. Every variety I am familiar with has territiorial issues, so thats why I recommended only one. I will look up pea puffer. But, otos really should be at least in pairs to be happy IMO.

EDIT: I see now that pea puffer is just another name for the dwarf puffer. I saw that most people recommended more like 2-3 females per male to avoid aggression, and thats not really possible in a 10g tank. Also, I have read that otos usually make good tankmates for dwarf puffers. I still say otos do better with other oto friends, but you could maybe do 2 otos and 1 dwarf puffer. :)

ADFs make good tank mates for peaceful bettas. They are both slow, although the betta can see better than the ADF. You would just have to make sure your betta was docile before adding the frogs. Cute little guys, though nothing compared to my ACF who I miss dearly. :( Shame they're hard to find now, though for good reason.

If you want to go for something different you could do a brackish ten gallon with 5-6 bumblebee gobies. Plant the tank and toss some snail shells in and you won't have any problems with territorial aggression. You could also do a few guppies with them as well. (Slowly acclimated to brackish)

I also like the idea of a dwarf puffer. Very fun oddball tank.
I think if I had a spare 10g now (which I do haha, but it's probably going to be for a reptile) I would either go for a dwarf puffer or a community tank with a betta and a small school of panda cories. There have been some awesome bettas at petco lately.
Sorry, rambling haha. I love 10g tanks, though. Very small, focused, and so much you can do with them!

I am unfamiliar with pea puffers. So, I don't know. Every variety I am familiar with has territiorial issues, so thats why I recommended only one. I will look up pea puffer. But, otos really should be at least in pairs to be happy IMO.

Yeah, I agree. There should definitely be only one puffer in a 10g tank. It's just too small for multiple puffers to establish territories. They have quite the attitude.

here is my stocking
1 puffer
2 dwarf groumis
2 shell dwelling chiclids

zacheyp said:
here is my stocking
1 puffer
2 dwarf groumis

What kind of puffer? I don't think that stocking is good because it has 3 potentially aggressive species in a pretty small tank.

here is my stocking
1 puffer
2 dwarf groumis
Nope. IMO, the puffer would destry the dg's. Like we said, puffers should be mostly be kept in species-only tanks. Also, I would not recommend more than 1 dg for a 10g. If you want to try a pair, beware that it may not work because they may fight when they reach breeding age. I know MOrgie has a apir though, so it can work. Just be careful if thats what you want to try.

As said above puffers require a species only tank.
I had two dwarf gouramis in my ten gallon while my other ten gallon finished up, and that was the worst week for the fish. Constant fighting.
You could do 1 DG and the cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom