10 Gallon Cardinal Tetra Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is everyone's thoughts on a 10 Gallon Cardinal Tetra Tank? Here's some specs, 10 Gallon tank 20x10x12 (LWH) with an Aquaclear 20, along with a heater and air stone...Stocking would be 8 Cardinal Tetras and 6 Red Cherry Shrimp...substrate would be white sand, with a large piece of texas holey Rock in the tanks center as a focal point with 2 Amazon Sword plants (one on each side in the rear of the tank). So, what's everyone think?

If you want them to school it probably won't happen it that ten, too small. Plus it is a little cramped for them because they are really active. Is it possible to get a 20 long?

The location I have for the tank is the exact fit for a 10, if not I would do 20 long, but I'm stuck with a 10. If they dont school I wouldn't mind, as long as they seem happy and healthy that's my main concerns.

they will be absolutely fine in a ten gallon. I have 10 cardinals and some rummy nose tetras in a ten and they are doing great. The trick is to plant the tank relatively heavily so they feel more secure.

also, cardinals are not very active in comparison to other tetras, like the rummynose.

Cardinals may eventually get big enough for a 10 gallon that they'd restrict what else you could add to the tank. I would suggest Neons, though decades of inbreeding has rendered their stock not as hardy as in the past. Green Neons might be a better route. Personally, I'd go with Ember Tetras. They're tiny, have a small bioload, and will give you more flexibility if you're looking to add a bottom-dwelling species such as dwarf cory.

If you have an additional six inches of vertical space available, you could go with a 15 gallon high. That would be much better than a 10, in terms of water chemistry stability.

EDIT: I second the idea of planting heavily. It'll help them feel more secure.

Back
Top Bottom