10 gallon cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chaik

Aquarium Advice Activist
How long does a 10 gallon usually take to cycle with plants (some dead) but no fish

Do you have a source for bacteria? How about ammonia. You will need both to get the cycle started. Presume around a month, but test weekly to observe progress. If you want to speed it up, get some filter media from another tank, and that will help you establish the bacteria you will need for the cycle. Add a source of ammonia to feed them and you are on your way.

How long does a 10 gallon usually take to cycle with plants (some dead) but no fish

Well to answer your question, I'm doing a FISH-LESS cycle right now with just fish food. My 10 gal tank that is already cycled took about a month to cycle (3 weeks.) Don't think it will matter with the plants. Also, it would be good to add some bacteria in there. Do this by buying aquarium bacteria from ANY petstore.

I wouldn't suggest bottled bacteria. Find someone with an an established fish tank and place a new bio filter sponge into their filter, and it will seed the new sponge thing(or whatever media you use).

You can honesty go into a good pet store with a NICE fish section, and buy biomedia there, and ask them to leave it in their tank till the next day or so. Bam. Cycled.

20long hitech/10gal shrimptech

Thanks for the info. I did put a filter cartridge from my other established tank but it had previously dried for about a week or two does it still work and there are some small snails in the tank too. (Stupid pests)

If its dried its dead. Not a big deal, just keep doing the cycle with no fish. I think fish in is ok in larger tanks, but with a 10 it takes to long. Shortest route is seeded biofilter, or fishless imho

Fish in is good, and I have done that, but its bad if you don't have liquid test kit and vigilance for water changes.

I'd rather do a slightly under stocked larger tank, than a 10gal with anything though, tbh. Bigger makes it easier for fish in.

Fish in is good, and I have done that, but its bad if you don't have liquid test kit and vigilance for water changes.

I'd rather do a slightly under stocked larger tank, than a 10gal with anything though, tbh. Bigger makes it easier for fish in.

I liked the fish in method but I lost three fish in the process. :( now that I have my 50 gallon, I'm doing fish less cycle.

Losing fish is bad. Even with a bigger tank you gotta keep up on your water changes. And testing with an API liquid kit is a must

Back
Top Bottom