10 Gallon Hex Stock..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Found a 10 gallon hex tank on craigslist. There isnt alot of side to side swim room so I'm unsure of what I could stock in it. Any ideas?

most tanks that small and tall wouldnt be able to let the fish swim freely, more likely, its that tall to let plants grow taller. if so, maybe you should get a shrimp only tank? they stay on plants and don't rlly need width

There has to be something that can swim in there. I'm really not a fan of shrimp. I was thinking a school of neon tetras.

Shrimp are cool, there are some (like tigers) that are less reclusive than neo's.

Based on the small footprint of your tank, I would suggest fish smaller than neons, such as celestial pearl danios, phoenix rasboras, brigittae rasboras, etc. There are several members of the genus microrasbora that would work well in this size tank.

Shrimp are cool, there are some (like tigers) that are less reclusive than neo's.

Based on the small footprint of your tank, I would suggest fish smaller than neons, such as celestial pearl danios, phoenix rasboras, brigittae rasboras, etc. There are several members of the genus microrasbora that would work well in this size tank.

I'll have to see what the lfs has. The smallest I've seen there is the neon's.

That's pretty typical I think. You may be able to find the cpd's locally, but other than that you're probably looking at online ordering (in most areas, anyway).

Ember tetras would be another good choice if you happen to find those.

So 5 or 6 neon tetra's would be a bad choice all together?

What are the dimensions? How far across the top is it from one side to another?

Penncentralfan said:
No, not all. 5 or 6 neon tetras will do fine a 10 gallon hex.

I disagree. A 10g hex does not provide enough horizontal swimming room. Most people don't even recommend putting neons in a regular 10g rectangular tank.

I have a 10 gal hexagonal with some glofish danios and a guppy.

but im still new to this soooo take that fwiw :D

janky said:
I have a 10 gal hexagonal with some glofish danios and a guppy.

but im still new to this soooo take that fwiw :D

IMO Danios need more horizontal swimming room. About 30 inches, actually. The guppy is perfectly fine in that tank, though. :)

IMO Danios need more horizontal swimming room. About 30 inches, actually. The guppy is perfectly fine in that tank, though. :)

Very possible. I only have 3 and they seem to do a lot of vertical swimming though :lol:

fwiw, they sell nano tanks that are like 6-8 gal for these glofish specifically, so if anything I feel better about them swimmin around vertically in my 10 gal hexagonal than being cramped in a desk-top cube. Ideally though, I totally agree.. the more room the better :)

Guppies seem to do great. They seem to love the top of the water

ccross said:
Found a 10 gallon hex tank on craigslist. There isnt alot of side to side swim room so I'm unsure of what I could stock in it. Any ideas?

What about a betta if your filter is gentle and you provide some plants for hanging out in? The height can be difficult for bettas unless you give them something's near the surface to laze about in when they feel like it. My son's betta is nuts for his leaf hammock, while mine can't be bothered with his.

Never thought about beta's. I could put 2 females in it safely couldnt I?

ccross said:
Never thought about beta's. I could put 2 females in it safely couldnt I?

Sorry, nope. Two females don't work together long term in pretty much ANY tank size! They will start picking at each other - to have a group of females it is recommended to have anywhere from 3-6 to in a bigger tank. Although I have had 3 in a 10g before (I wouldn't recommend it) they had more horizontal space at the top to spread out than a hex would have. Get yourself a super beautiful male and he'll entertain you!

Have you picked anything for your tank yet? I ask because I was suddenly wondering if you could do something like ember tetras. I have been eyeing them up for a while.... They are really sweet.

Back
Top Bottom