10 gallon rock build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pckerfreak44

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So here is my current situation, I currently have a 10 gallon tank with a betta in it. i tried to make it planted and it really just didnt work for me, the water was all brown from tannis, and i didnt have c02 so most the plants died. I did not really do enough research and it really just is not working for me anymore. So i decided i wanted to change it up a bit

My plan as of now is to rehome my betta to a 5 gallon tank and give him to a close friend, and turn the tank into basically rocks. I love rocks is aquariums and i already have way to many in my 30 gallon. So i was just thinking filling up this tank with tons and tons of rocks, piling them almost to the top with caves everywhere. I havent really seen many of these so i figured it would be a bit unique.

I have a few questions

1. What fish would be best to have in the tank?
I love neons but i know they need more space to swim, so i'm not sure. im definatly going to have to get some shrimp the clean in between all the rocks.

2. Should i use any gravel?
I was thinking maybe the tank would be easier to clean without any substrate.

3. I have alot of rocks under my deck that will work good, will I be able to use those?

4. How will the maintenance be for the tank?

Any information will be greatly appreciated :) there will be plenty of pictures if you want to follow along.:popcorn:

So I rehomed my betta and am going to start picking out rocks tomorrow hopefully. I could still use help on stocking ideas and if I should use gravel or not...

A 10gal. isn't the best option for a rock shelf. Once you stack all of them like you plan it will leave only a few gallons of water, greatly reduce an already small footprint and limit your stocking options. Sorry for being a buzz kill. I'd like to help but the only thing that comes to mind that would do well would be crayfish maybe.

I would not use gravel and instead use sand, but if you do use gravel use a round natural looking pebble type gravel.

The rocks make sure you boil or scrub really well to remove anything such as mold that may have grown on them during their time under the deck.

Your propossed scapeing would not allow much swimming room so i would suggest putting a bunch of shrimp (depending on size). Oh and some killi fish stay really small and i imagine would do great in your tank.

I am not an expert on killies but atleast it gives you a good research point. Good Luck and let us know what you decide to do and if you have any questions!

Oh I didn't really think of that :/ I still want to try it though, if it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out.
I have natural gravel in there already, I was just curious if it'd be easier to maintain without them.
I've heard of killifish but have never seen them at any LFS. Is that the only option I have for stocking?

Back
Top Bottom