10 gallon shrimp/moss scape- journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Johnpaul have you tries using excel on mosses? Does it help them grow in faster?

In my tanks with mosses I do occasional, small doses of Excel. It certainly didn't hurt any and I suspect it did indeed help them. I have heard you can "melt" some mosses by overdoing with Excel; when I dose it, I dose it at about half the amount the bottle suggests, and rather than dose it every couple of days like the bottle suggests, I only dose it maybe once every 2 weeks. So, for what that's worth, that's my experience with it.

was it enough of a difference to warrant the 10 bottle? i was thinking i could use it to help the mosses grow in. do you have much experience with weeping,taiwan, and flame moss and how long they take to adjust and fill in?

also i just realized how do i add shrimp once the tank is cycled? cause i can't have ammonia in the tank when i add the shrimp but if i don't add ammonia the bacteria will die therefore i'll have an uncycled tank. i'll probably add the mosses hopefully before the cycle completes then i'll add some mts if i can find some( if someone would be willing to ship me some i'm happy to pay shipping :) same with moss cough cough haha) so how do i keep it cycled cause i know the tank needs some biofilm for the shrimp. or will the moss have enough for the tank?

also i have a concern that the back corner might build up toxic gas heres a picture so you all can decide
IMG_20101004_153228.jpg

someone wants to say hi
IMG_20101004_153301.jpg

also i just realized how do i add shrimp once the tank is cycled? cause i can't have ammonia in the tank when i add the shrimp but if i don't add ammonia the bacteria will die therefore i'll have an uncycled tank.

Once your cycle is starting to complete, add some snails. The snail poop will generate enough ammonia to keep your filter bacteria alive until you get your shrimp in there.

MTS will also assure that no gas pockets develop in that deep part of the substrate.

okay so my next question is how long ones i add the snails should i wait till i add the shrimp?

did i miss something? What life?
what kind what is? was there supposed to be a picture?
i'm confused.

ok now i see a picture. it looks like the beginning stages of algae or diatoms. diatoms are usually brown though i think. something for the snails and maybe shrimp to eat when the tank is done cycling.

Last edited:
well how else could i have ammonia without water? haha
good filtration
awesome phone idk you be the judge haha

u should add a sponge filter in there, it will help the plant grow and also a DIY cheap co2, skip the excel and go with a co2.

why would a add a sponge filter? the aquarium has plenty of filtration? and i have diy co2 in my other tank, it's a mess not something i want to try with this tank.

Back
Top Bottom