Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2006, 10:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

10 gallon stock list

OK, I'm now looking to restock my 10 gallon now that my goldfish isn't using it ...
so I've come up with a few ideas, I'd like your thoughts.

1)
1 Dwarf gourami
a small school of tetras for movment (neons or whatever works)
4 small cory cats (pandas, julii or whatever i can get my hands on locally)

2)
A pair of dwarf gouramis
4 small cory cats

3)
A German blue ram
4 small cory cats.

The ten gallon will be planted pretty thickly, with weekly water changes. I'll probably be adding the cory cats first, then follow later with the other fish.

Are all of these grossly overstocked?

3 Dwarf Puffers, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 3 Otos

Planted with Java Fern, C. retrospiralis, Java moss, chistmas moss, L. repens, R. rotundifolia, Wisteria, C. wendtii, C. lucen, S. subulata, M. heterophyllum, C. carolina
BlazerFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
#1 could be a little too much, but the other 2 could work. As for #3, could probably do a pair of rams and the cories?

Old 01-08-2006, 10:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Number 1 sounds great.

It is better off to have one dwarf gourami in the ten because 2 gourami's may fight and pick on each other. 10g may not be enough space for 2 gouramis and their "territories" so one is fine. As for the tetras a nice school of 5 should do it. If you'd like something different from neons look at: black neon tetra, glowlight tetra, rummynose tetra and cardinal tetra. I would try to get 4 panda cories as these are smaller for your tank.
With panda cories thats about 10 inches of fish

Rams can be sensitive and difficult to keep.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have heard that aobut the rams, also that they prefer acidic water, while my water is rather basic (7.4 out of the tap). If they weren't sensitive I probably wouldn't worry about it but...
I do love their coloration tho.

Number one is my favorite... any chance of the tetras pickong on the gourami? I've heard they're rather shy.

Thanks

3 Dwarf Puffers, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 3 Otos

Planted with Java Fern, C. retrospiralis, Java moss, chistmas moss, L. repens, R. rotundifolia, Wisteria, C. wendtii, C. lucen, S. subulata, M. heterophyllum, C. carolina
BlazerFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

not really, unless you get a particularly shy one. My dwarf gourami seemed good with my black neon tetras and my glowlight tetras
Old 01-08-2006, 11:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have both GBR's and Bolivians in my 55G, and my ph is stable around 7.2, occasionally 7.0, and they do just fine.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to xIHaKIx
Let me just say, IMO...dont listen to people when they say "to much" ... if I posted my stocking list they would probably faint. ..... lets just say ALL my livebreathers are doing good in a fully planted 10 gal. and Im acually getting add ons every day because my female guppies and mollies give birth like onces a week so I trade the fry in for credit at my LFS when they get a little bigger but thats besides the point Im saying I got a "few" fish in my ten gallon, this isnt adding all the snails and 3 otos. but all my fish are doing well....and yes people will say "you think they are doing well" but they really are, you should see the beautiful colors my male silver molle got after I introduced him to my tank, the water is crystal clear (even with all those fish in the tank) and like I said new fry being born every day, no sickness, no ich, nothing of that nature.

Check out my tank: 10 Gal[/center:69638b5549]
xIHaKIx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:37 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIHaKIx
Let me just say, IMO...dont listen to people when they say "to much" ... if I posted my stocking list they would probably faint. ..... lets just say ALL my livebreathers are doing good in a fully planted 10 gal. and Im acually getting add ons every day because my female guppies and mollies give birth like onces a week so I trade the fry in for credit at my LFS when they get a little bigger but thats besides the point Im saying I got a "few" fish in my ten gallon, this isnt adding all the snails and 3 otos. but all my fish are doing well....and yes people will say "you think they are doing well" but they really are, you should see the beautiful colors my male silver molle got after I introduced him to my tank, the water is crystal clear (even with all those fish in the tank) and like I said new fry being born every day, no sickness, no ich, nothing of that nature.
It's not that it's too much, it's how dedicated you are to the proper maintenance in higher bio-load tanks. It was like my 26G before I got my 55G, 30+ fish in a 26G, included my 2 fire eels which were 6+ inches each, a 5 inch bala shark, and 2 rainbow sharks. I did PWC's every 3 days and kept nitrates below 30, if not 20. I currently have 60 fish between the 2 tanks, and all are doing fine. Nitrates currently below 10ppm.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:32 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to xIHaKIx
i understand im just used to getting bashed here about having to many fish

Check out my tank: 10 Gal[/center:69638b5549]
xIHaKIx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
Don't overlook pygmy cories for that 10 gallon tank. They do well in a group of 5 or so and are very active.

Tags
10 gallon, stock, stock list

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com