10 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bud29

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have gotten my sister into the aquarium hobby.:D She's getting a 10 gallon tank in a few weeks. We have been discussing stocking. This is her plan:
5 Neon Tetras
2 Guppies
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 ADF

I think it could be overstocked. I'm trying to find a good bottom dweller such as a snail to replace something, I don't know what. Any ideas? I told her about rcs and she got pretty excited but then after doing some research we found our tap water's pH is too high for them.

She really likes the frog and gourami, so do you have any ideas on what could go with them in a 10?

Neons really aren't that ideal in a 10g. They prefer lots of horizontal swimming ranges. A 20L would be the more ideal tank for them.

I would take out the neons and get more guppies (with an appropriate male:female ratio!) and add a snail. About the pH, driftwood supposedly lowers that. Make sure your sister keeps up on water changes for the guarami, they're really sensitive to poor water quality!

A school of ember tetra to replace the neons. Fr the bottom you could do a school of pygmy Cories. And just make sure the guppies are either female or male

Well, she isn't too crazy about the ember tetras. She's wondering if this will work:
1 DG
1 ADF
2 guppies
3 endlers (she's wondering if she can add one more to make it 4)
2 mystery snails

bud29 said:
Well, she isn't too crazy about the ember tetras. She's wondering if this will work:
1 DG
1 ADF
2 guppies
3 endlers (she's wondering if she can add one more to make it 4)
2 mystery snails

I think you should do get rid of one of the schoolers and have one larger school. You could have 6+ endlers then

1) The frogs are social and are happier if there are at least two of them.
2) The frogs may need to be hand fed because they are very slow eaters, don't eat flake food, and fish like their food and will eat it all before the frogs can. If you are willing to hand feed (or tweezer feed :) ) this can be overcome, but it requires extra work on your part.
3) My pH is 8.0 and I have approximately 25 (number varies) red cherry shrimp in my tank. They are surviving and breeding, although most of the babies get eaten. I got them from a local breeder so they were already acclimatted to high pH. See if you can find someone in the area breeding them, and you may be able to keep them.

So if the guppies are eliminated could she get like 7 endlers?

And ownedbycats, good to know. Ill ask her if she wants to hand-feed the frog. Sadly, this town doesn't have much demand for aquarium stuff, so I'll look but I doubt there is a local rcs breeder.

bud29 said:
So if the guppies are eliminated could she get like 7 endlers?

And ownedbycats, good to know. Ill ask her if she wants to hand-feed the frog. Sadly, this town doesn't have much demand for aquarium stuff, so I'll look but I doubt there is a local rcs breeder.

Ya endlers are small and pretty undemanding when it comes to care. If you had good filteration and maintnance you could have 15+ but i dont reccomend that for a community. Also,get all boys if you dont want tons of babies

Back
Top Bottom