10 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puffymcstuff

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello!

I have a 10 gallon tank that I just did a water change in yesterday for the first time in forever!I have:

1. a silver hatchet (his buddies died)
  2. 1 male cobra endler guppy (freaking gorgeous!)
  3. 1 black kuhli loach
  4. 1 african dwarf frog (it's alone now because my sister only recently adopted it from her science class)
Right now I am looking to beef up the stock a little bit and pass the care on to my sister (10 years old). I would like your opinions on what to put in there and here is the list I am looking at:

1. 2 more african dwarf frogs
  2. 2-4 more black kuhli loaches
  3. 2 more hatchets (though I may move these to my (soon to be tropical *semi aggressive/large fish* 60 gallon hex - link is here http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/restocking-311220.html )
  4. 2 more male cobra endler guppies
  5. 2 or 3 otocinclus for algae
What do you think? Can't wait for replies!

Attachments

• ten gallon on june fifth 2014.jpg
    ten gallon on june fifth 2014.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 106
First off the pic might look better if it was right side up lol. Second, you did say 10 gallon right ? If so, you're horribly overstocked and need to do more research on fish before you plan to buy anything else.

A silver hatchet should be in no less than a 20 gallon.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+883+1015&pcatid=1015
Also they are not semi aggressive and should be in a peaceful tank with properly suited mates.

And a black kuhli loach should be no less than 50 gallons.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+885+1072&pcatid=1072

Also, minimal guidelines for otos is 30 gallons.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1162+923&pcatid=923

And fwiw, I wasn't too impressed with the first sentence about first time water change in forever or the other about the silver hatchet buddies dying. One could only presume why.

I took it right side up and it was so on my computer, so idk why it posted upside down.

I put the hatchet in the ten to save it from some vicious tetras of mine in my 60 gal. The kuhli is alive and well and has been for about a year, as with the guppies, the hatchets (the other died shortly after a series of transfers after my neighbor moved away) are the only fish having trouble... The guppy died because I accidentally dropped my corner filter on him... And I haven't been able to do a water change because my junior year got crazy and then I was in the hospital/on bed rest for more than a month... I'm really just trying to get back on the horse now.

I'm not buying your whole "live aquaria thing" as I've spoken to multiple others about hatchets and otos... Kuhlis: I had no clue, but again... Not so keen on that website.

Also, how overstocked? I have 7 inches of fish in the tank and they all love in separate strati
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401996028.102574.jpg

I took it right side up and it was so on my computer, so idk why it posted upside down.

I put the hatchet in the ten to save it from some vicious tetras of mine in my 60 gal. The kuhli is alive and well and has been for about a year, as with the guppies, the hatchets (the other died shortly after a series of transfers after my neighbor moved away) are the only fish having trouble... The guppy died because I accidentally dropped my corner filter on him... And I haven't been able to do a water change because my junior year got crazy and then I was in the hospital/on bed rest for more than a month... I'm really just trying to get back on the horse now.

I'm not buying your whole "live aquaria thing" as I've spoken to multiple others about hatchets and otos... Kuhlis: I had no clue, but again... Not so keen on that website.

Also, how overstocked? I have 7 inches of fish in the tank and they all love in separate strati
View attachment 239490

Okay so here's another approach since you've stated you're closed minded and not open to the LA approach that many others here will use as a guide and refer to quite often.

I'll start with you're 7 inch quote.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...inch-per-gallon-rule-and-stocking-165674.html

Since time is short for me right now and I can't locate the loach, here's the hatchet.
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/characins2/p/commonhatchet.htm

For me personally it's not about listening to what others have to say but more about doing my own research firsthand and arriving at my own conclusions. Too many people base things on the "what I heard" and not "I read _____ from ____ ". I'll take more from a website or book over what "somebody" or an LFS representative claims.

for whats it worth, when I had hatchets once. AT THE TIME, I had 15 tiger barbs, 5 Serpae Tetras, a red tail shark, and some cory catfish. I NEVER saw anything attack the hatchets, but they stayed huddled up and near the plants at the closest to the surface as they could possibly be. I never saw them swim down into the water, even to chase food, they stayed at the surface. This was in a deep 45 gallon. I got 6 of them, and they did fine for a week, then one died, 4 days another, etc, will after 3 weeks, they were all dead. I still attribute it to the tigers keeping them stressed, tho Im convinced they didnt overtly kill them.

for whats it worth, when I had hatchets once. AT THE TIME, I had 15 tiger barbs, 5 Serpae Tetras, a red tail shark, and some cory catfish. I NEVER saw anything attack the hatchets, but they stayed huddled up and near the plants at the closest to the surface as they could possibly be. I never saw them swim down into the water, even to chase food, they stayed at the surface. This was in a deep 45 gallon. I got 6 of them, and they did fine for a week, then one died, 4 days another, etc, will after 3 weeks, they were all dead. I still attribute it to the tigers keeping them stressed, tho Im convinced they didnt overtly kill them.

Hatchets are top dwellers. Probably why you wouldn't see them swim to the bottom. And given the opportunity will jump clear out of the tank.

treeman:
Firstly, I am sorry, because it seems that I have offended you and I must assure you that it was not my intention to do so.
Secondly, have you any experience with the fish in question? I have done research and found that in a tank that is taken care of properly and without aggressors, kuhli's can do well. I know that the hatchet should be in a school and should be in a larger tank and will take care of that as soon as I am able.

Patrick:
Yeah, I am getting kind of tired of hatchets because they are so finnicky, even when I had them in schools in my 60... plus: I was never one for the suicidal fish...

My question still stands however, though with amendments:
I want an algae eater (probably otos cuz smaller plecos have gotten aggressive as they grow and those chinese ones scare me)
I will rehome the hatchet
I want more guppies
I want another one or two loaches
and I want one or two more frogs...
thoughts?

I've had Otos in a 10g. They did great. But I have heavily planted tanks. They need stable water conditions. Weekly partial water changes are essential IME with small tanks. First, test your water to check conditions. Don't add any fish till you know what your tank is doing.

Hatchets prefer planted tanks and groups as you know.

Kuhlis like soft sand so they can dig. I think 3 frogs would be too many.

Stock ?
After water tests and another PWC or two and re homing the hatchet, then you might gradually add stock.

1 more male guppy is plenty, they sometimes bully each other. Keep an eye on them.

once the tank is well-established and you have live plants you can try adding three Otos.

Water changes and live plants will help keep your fish healthier in a small tank.

If you consider starting over a 10 gallon makes an awesome shrimp tank. RCS are super cute.

Under stocking the tank will make it much easier for a 10-year-old to take care of.

Would she be able to do weekly partial water changes?

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good!
So, no more kuhlis, and why would more frogs be too many? Wouldn't the existing frog get lonely?

I haven't had luck at all with plants... Tips?

I'm also getting sick of my hatchets. I had 6 and two of them jumped through the tiny opening in the hood for the filter. I spent $3 per hatchet. I had my hatchets in a 44g tho. I ten gallon is really small and not much would fit in one. Before I moved out the inhabitants of my ten for my fry. I had a school of smaller tetras. I felt this was over stoked and this was only 6 small species of tetras.

treeman:
Firstly, I am sorry, because it seems that I have offended you and I must assure you that it was not my intention to do so.
Secondly, have you any experience with the fish in question? I have done research and found that in a tank that is taken care of properly and without aggressors, kuhli's can do well. I know that the hatchet should be in a school and should be in a larger tank and will take care of that as soon as I am able.

Patrick:
Yeah, I am getting kind of tired of hatchets because they are so finnicky, even when I had them in schools in my 60... plus: I was never one for the suicidal fish...

My question still stands however, though with amendments:
I want an algae eater (probably otos cuz smaller plecos have gotten aggressive as they grow and those chinese ones scare me)
I will rehome the hatchet
I want more guppies
I want another one or two loaches
and I want one or two more frogs...
thoughts?

Puffy, I'll accept your apology as I was fairly offended that your disregard for opinion of "not buying the Live Aquaria" point and choosing to go with "who you talk to" seems pretty outrageous. I mean after all, your talking about a company (2 board certified vets) that has been around for over 25 years and considered one of the industries largest and most responsible pet suppliers in the country.

To answer your question of having any personal experience with any of them, it's simply yes. The long version is that I've been keeping fish on and off for close to 30 years and have over the last 7-8 stuck primarily with Discus. I'm not only a member of a few fish/aquarium sites but also a moderator on one.

And I'll further go on to agree that IF A TANK IS TAKEN CARE OF PROPERLY, anything is possible. With four tanks currently running and all of them under stocked, I'm still over committed and over prepared by the standards of many others. From gaskets to additional filters (running and spares) to battery powered air pumps and generators in the event of a power outage for days, I consider myself well above and beyond. Not to mention the 7 other tanks in storage should one happen to break.

Plants ? Try Java Fern. Tie it to a piece of wood or decor and let it grow.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actualy have a java fern where I did just that. It grows well(at least as well as a java fern grows). It would be cool to get a few, and put them close enough to grow together on a ledge....get them to grow into a canopy kind of....a lush shade spot....this vision of mine is kind of hard to convey...

Cool! I am going to the pet store today to get an endler and two frogs, I'm rehoming the hatchet and purchasing a master test kit to keep a closer eye on the parameters. Will keep you guys updated!

Went to the Petsmart yesterday and got two frogs, an endler, and a baby albino BN!

Everyone is zipping around and doing great!

It's really hard to take good pictures in my ten for whatever reason, do here is my best shot at one of the frogs, both guppies (score!)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402166055.316873.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402166067.974978.jpg

Also: I moved the hatchet into my 60 and bought some carpet squares (best description I got) that's the stringy green plant in both pics.

Haha they are endlers... Oops... :p but thanks!
One of the frogs died and I haven't seen one of the two others, uh oh!

Back
Top Bottom