10 gallon stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry too, homedog, I'll just answer this. I think an aerator would help. But that's just me.

Watch your platy situation, if you have one male, and one female, you will have babies. I'd try two females. So the male doesn't harrass your female too bad, and you won't have to worry about offspring. The whole otto situation, I thought it was because they liked to shoal (apparently my opinion was out in left field. ha ha) I never had a problem, with just one in a ten gallon tank, but I guess we've all made that mistake? Instead of otto's, why don't you try a few cories?

gkuzel said:
Watch your platy situation, if you have one male, and one female, you will have babies. I'd try two females. So the male doesn't harrass your female too bad, and you won't have to worry about offspring. The whole otto situation, I thought it was because they liked to shoal (apparently my opinion was out in left field. ha ha) I never had a problem, with just one in a ten gallon tank, but I guess we've all made that mistake? Instead of otto's, why don't you try a few cories?

I wouldn't put any commonly found Cory in anything less than twenty gallons. They're too hyper.

I think pygmy cories would work splendidly. I know severummama agrees.

Depends on the cory, I think. Pygmys are awesome but not redily available in my area, I always used to have two albinos in my ten gallon, and they were fine. All depends.

Bettababe1011 said:
I wouldn't put any commonly found Cory in anything less than twenty gallons. They're too hyper.

I have 4 panda corys in my 10g tank. They are active. I'm not an expert, but looks like my pandas are doing good.

If yours are doing good, that's fine. I said that I wouldn't put them in anything less than a twenty, and that was just my opinion.

(Sorry if I sounded snippy, I really didn't mean to, and I'm not a snippy person)

It's cool Betta, it's real hard to tell over text. No biggie.

Bettababe1011 said:
If yours are doing good, that's fine. I said that I wouldn't put them in anything less than a twenty, and that was just my opinion.

(Sorry if I sounded snippy, I really didn't mean to, and I'm not a snippy person)

Don't worry, I have read a lot of your post and I know that you are not snippy, and I do understand your point and opinion.
Thanks

Homedog98 said:
Will it work in a cycled ten gallon with a 10 gallon aqueon quiteflow filter? Will there be aggression? Etc.
6 neon tetra
3 ottos
2 platties (1 male, 1 female... Not trying to save the fry)
1 male betta (required... I already have him)

I could be wrong, but this looks overstocked to me.

Granted, there isn't any real good rule of thumb when adding fish to a tank. The inch of fish per gallon rule has been proven to be a joke, and many people aren't very trusting when it comes to AqAdvisor.

I think you'd be fine if you nixed the platties and went with the rest of the plan, but it's up to you.

I think James could have a point. I understand having centrepiece fish in a 10g, but maybe a betta and platties is pushing it a little.

IMO it would be overstocked. I don't think it's so much a bio-load issue as it is a space issue. I would go with just the neons and the betta or the betta and the platy. Neons aren't my fav for a 10 gal but I think it's OK. Oto's are sensitive and aren't my fav choice for a 10 gal. Generally 20 gals and up is considered best for them. If they will much on a high quality algae wafer and veggies they'll be fine, but some are picky. I guess if you are willing to culture algae for them it should work. They are sensitive so, if you decide to go with them, I would add them once the tanks been established for 6 mos :)

One more thing I would go with two female platy...just so the one doesn't get harassed too much in the one on one situation.

Ok, after all this, I think I'll try the ottos, and ditch the platties... But could I switch them out for ADF's? That would give me this selection:
6 neon tetras
3 ottos
2 ADF's
1 betta
And maybe upgrade to a 30 gallon aquaclear filter? I'll grow my own algae by rock method, and have about 12 ready, but if that doesn't work, I'll just put the whole tank in front of a window... Does this sound alright?

ok why dont you just do
6 neon tetras and a betta wait a couple of months and do the rock thing until algae spreads around your tank and then add 3 ottos but id leave out the adf's bc too many fish especialy schools can stress a betta out so that would pretty much be your limit.

Homedog, I have to be completely honest, I just don't think that's a good idea. Everywhere I've ever heard says otos need an established tank. Why don't you get the others for a few months, see if your tank grows algae, and get the otos later?

Adf means African dwarf frog. I really wouldn't recommend adding two if the frogs with so many fish in there. You'll have to hand feed them because the other fish won't let them eat.
I have a ten gallon and this is my stocking list:
2 Otto cats
3 neon tetras
1 sword tail
4 platys
1 platy fry
1 HUGE ghost shrimp
1 Mexican dwarf crawfish :)
My tank works out great it's been up since black Friday :)
I've had the ottos in their since the beginning and they are great. Ive never seen them eat algae wafers. But they keep my tank clean.
I also had an ADF and had to give him hi own tank because he was beginning to starve. They love live black worms.
Just my 10 cents :)

Adf means African dwarf frog. I really wouldn't recommend adding two if the frogs with so many fish in there. You'll have to hand feed them because the other fish won't let them eat.
I have a ten gallon and this is my stocking list:
2 Otto cats
3 neon tetras
1 sword tail
4 platys
1 platy fry
1 HUGE ghost shrimp
1 Mexican dwarf crawfish :)
My tank works out great it's been up since black Friday :)
I've had the ottos in their since the beginning and they are great. Ive never seen them eat algae wafers. But they keep my tank clean.
I also had an ADF and had to give him hi own tank because he was beginning to starve. They love live black worms.
Just my 10 cents :)

Well IMO that is not an ideal stock list. First of all swords are simply way too large for a 10 gal tank. I wouldn't keep them in less than 29 gals. Also neons shouldn't be in groups less than 6.

Ok, after all this, I think I'll try the ottos, and ditch the platties... But could I switch them out for ADF's? That would give me this selection:
6 neon tetras
3 ottos
2 ADF's
1 betta
And maybe upgrade to a 30 gallon aquaclear filter? I'll grow my own algae by rock method, and have about 12 ready, but if that doesn't work, I'll just put the whole tank in front of a window... Does this sound alright?

Homedog I've kept ADF's for many years and I don't keep them in communities anymore. I know some folks say it works for them and I won't argue that, but I think the frogs are better off on their own. You can see a difference in their behavoir in a species only tank and a community..they are more comfortable without the fish around. They are so blind and find their food by smell so it's nearly impossible for them to compete with tankmates who can find their food by sight. I've tried different ways to make the feedings work and it was more of a pain in the neck than it was worth. JMO.

Back
Top Bottom