10 gallon stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm planning to add the ottos last anyway. So would this be ok?
6 neon tetras
1 betta
3 ottos
Are there ANY other fish (minus micro fish) that could fit? Especially If I upgraded the filter to a 30 gallon?

Have you considered ghost shrimp? They are actually surprisingly personable and fun to watch, with basically no bio-load. The betta might snack on them (though they aren't terribly expensive so trying it out could be worth it). You'd be shocked at how energeticly GS will swim.

For me, I'd call it stocked. I think bettas do better with more tankmates when there's a bit more space. If you think it's too conservative, I don't know if they are considered micro fish, but *possibly* some of the dwarf cories could work. Like hasbrosus or pygmaeus. If you have a very chill betta that is not at all stressed by the action already going on in the tank and if after running for a while with the current stock there is no probs keeping water quality ideal (your extra filter should take care of that of course). Or kuhli's are generally considered acceptable for 10 gals, you could do a couple of those instead :)

ShadoeFox said:
Have you considered ghost shrimp? They are actually surprisingly personable and fun to watch, with basically no bio-load. The betta might snack on them (though they aren't terribly expensive so trying it out could be worth it). You'd be shocked at how energeticly GS will swim.

Maybe I'll start off with two, and see if mr. Elvis gets hungry, then add a few more. So there's no other fish I could add to that list?

siva said:
For me, I'd call it stocked. I think bettas do better with more tankmates when there's a bit more space. If you think it's too conservative, I don't know if they are considered micro fish, but *possibly* some of the dwarf cories could work. Like hasbrosus or pygmaeus. If you have a very chill betta that is not at all stressed by the action already going on in the tank and if after running for a while with the current stock there is no probs keeping water quality ideal (your extra filter should take care of that of course). Or kuhli's are generally considered acceptable for 10 gals, you could do a couple of those instead :)

The khulis remind me of snakes... And those Creep me out... So not gonna do those, I don't really want to do the cories, as I'm trying to have different species in different tanks, and I have cories in the 29 list already. So no other fish would fit?

I'm gonna agree with Siva. You're probobly about maxed out on fish, planning wise, for a while. I'd make sure it stay's stable for a bit before going past one inch/gallon land. I have with my guppy tank, but I had a dead snail in there for like two days and didn't even register an amonia spike. That tank is rock solid (Which is nice since I frelled up and ended up doing a fish in cycle on that one. All that hard work paid off it seems.)

Frankly, fill it to your stocking plan, and see how it looks. You might decide you like how it is filled once you get there. I could add a couple or few more fish to my "Zen" tank, but I just don't want too.

Last edited:
The khulis remind me of snakes... And those Creep me out... So not gonna do those, I don't really want to do the cories, as I'm trying to have different species in different tanks, and I have cories in the 29 list already. So no other fish would fit?

I know what you mean, I'm the same way. The hasbrosus though would be less than 1/3 the size of your orange lasers and are black and white so it would be way different :D

Those are the only fish I can think of that could possibly go in w/o getting anyone elses way, for the most part. But if things go well with the ghost shrimp you could try a colorful shrimp like RCS or BPS.

I did mention to y'all that this tank is already set up, cycled, temporarily stocked, and has been this way for 3 months already right?

Ya. Any more stocking options? If I replaced the neon tetras, what other options could I have?

Could I do this
3 platties (2 females 1 male)
2 ADF's
Elvis
3 ottos
Would it work?

i think you should just upgrade to a 20 gallon theyre cheap on cl and i went to a lps and found a used 55 galon with tank and stand for 125 dollars plan on trying to get something of that size in june (might have a little beggin goin on with my mom, but hopefully i can get another tank) but that's just my 10 cents

I'd like to too, but it's either the 29 or the 20, and I've got my stocking set for the 29 already. The ten is what I have to work with it, and I'm on a teenage budget, so I'm just gonna have to stock it. Will the stocking above be alright?

i know exactly what you mean (im 14) id take away either the frogs or platies in my opinion then you'd be good.

With what I've already said about the frogs, I think it would be OK as long as your are diligent in making sure the frogs get enough to eat :)

One of my frogs attacks my hand pretty viciously when I reach in sometimes...I would have a back-up plan just in case it doesn't work (i.e. another place to put the frogs or take them back to lfs).

I will admit... I obsess over making sure everyone gets a bite to eat... So I won't have a problem there. I'd still like to add neons instead of platies though. Is there any way I could do this?

A school of neon tetra (how many?)
2 ADF's
Elvis
3 ottos

I'm worried about bioload mainly for now, I'll sort out the kinks, and separate what needs separation when the time comes. (got another 10 gallon in storage I can set up if necessary) but I'd really like to try neons if possible, and ethical.

id say just do it but make sure your ten is up and ready just n case or maybe put both up and split the fish
elvis and the adf's in one and 6 neon tetra and otos in the other

Back
Top Bottom