10 Gallon Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SUBZERO-08

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

I am currently planning to stock my 10G tank with:
5 Pygmy Cory's
8 Celestial Pearl Danios
A dozen Cherry Shrimp

I also have a few questions about this:
Is this plan overstocked for a 10G tank?
If the shrimp multiply how much of an effect does that have on the bioload?
What type of cory would primarily stay in the lower/ground section of the tank? As I know the CPD's should fill up the mid-area nicely.

Thank you!

Hey sub...GET OVER HERE haha
Stock sounds okay to me, I have a similar plan for my 15. I don't know much about shrimp but I'm fairly certain they have a small bioload. As long as maintenance is kept up it sounds fine to me! I like the way habrosas look but I have yet to keep them so I'm not sure where in the tank they like to hang. Generally cories dwell in the lower regions of the tank.

C habrosus are a pygmy species and stay lower than C pygmaeus or C hastatus.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419163248.448253.jpg
Habrosus are the main species I've kept. I have a pygmaeus now that I rescued out of a tank of big Cories.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419163320.468902.jpg

The stock sounds fine BUT if you want to breed more Shrimp , either introduce Shrimp first ( tank must be stable ) , or set up a tank just for Shrimp.

They'll still breed and with enough moss to hide in you'll still get a few babies. But with fish in the tank you won't see babies.

I love my CPDs. I will be setting up a 10g with just Shrimp and Otos. I miss seeing the babies.
http://youtu.be/aptmdICahvM
My tank was overstocked but so heavily planted that it wasn't an issue. Plus all tiny fish with small bioloads.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice tank!

Thanks for the replies. I have quite a bit of Java moss, so I will try to set up my tank in a way that has lots of spots for the baby shrimp to hide out until they grow a bit. If that doesn't work out I do have a spare 5G I could set up for some of the shrimp.

I started out with a similar plan for my 16g but decided to keep the cherry shrimp on their own in a 5g.

The CPDs and pygmy cories are so small but very active! In my situation, the CPDs tend to be in the middle to lower parts of the tank. The juveniles occasionally like to explore the upper section. The cories are all over the place though, so much fun to watch.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I agree that your tank stock sounds just fine. All of those fish, and the shrimp have a very petite bioload, so you will be fine in that regard. C. habrosus are great fun. Thery are adorable and active.
If you are unable to locate cpd easily, check out the ember tetra. They are another great, vibrant little nano fish.

Thanks! Ember Tetras also look quite nice, so I will keep that in mind if I can't find the CPD's!

No prob. We can float you a few other ideas as well if availability is an issue. I know from experience that finding the exact nano fish you want can sometimes be a bit of a pain. :) Hopefully you can easily find the CPD though.

Back
Top Bottom