10 gallon stocking question *Updated 8/26/06 W/Pics*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Professor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well everything in the 44 gallon and my sister's 10 gallon seems to be stable.
I've started work again on my bedroom 10 gallon tank and soon the 29 gallon planted tank.

Anyways

The 10 gallon I have in my bedroom will be ready soon. Sometime tomorrow or sunday. I'm getting a cycled filter that has been in my grandmothers 10 gallon for a few months now. So It should be seeded with a bacteria colony. YAY!!!

So I was thinking of getting a betta. I've always wanted one.
But I'm not sure if bettas like a sand substrate environment.
I also don't know what fishes would go well with a betta.
The tank is very empty
As seen here
newsetup%202.JPG

So throw your thoughts and ideas out on the table.

Thx
~Mp

You could have a betta and some harlequin rasboras. Thats what I have in my 10g and it works very well. The Harlies don't bother the betta at all. Also, you could get some glowlight tetras, lemon tetras, or flame tetras. They are all peaceful. I've never kept them with a betta though, so I don't know how they'd react with the betta. I had neons with a betta and they hid alot. Other people have had luck with the neons though. The betta idea is great. They are wonderful fish!

10 gal

Or you could add a few small cories. They are entertaining by themselves and our betta tries to follow them sometimes. Not that he has much luck. lol In case you are interested, here is a shot of the tank. The white thing on the left is a cheesy, hollow plastic rock covered with java moss. The cories love it!!

Attachments

• bruce_s_tank_100.jpg
    bruce_s_tank_100.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 70
Thats a beautiful betta, jefferyl and I like the setup what are you using for light?

Had glasscats one time, next day the blackskirts ate them..
Anyways
I want small fishes, since the betta will be the big slow moving one in the tank. I'm not sure if I want a school of fish. But I do want a decent amount of fish in the tank.

So......

betta

Thank you. The light is an all glass 20" strip light. It has supplied plenty of watts for the water sprite, the anacharis and moss. In fact, they grew a bit too well. Hmmmmmm. Will a weedeater work under water???

Attachments

• bruce_s_tank_2_323.jpg
    bruce_s_tank_2_323.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 38
Re: betta

JeffreyL said:
Thank you. The light is an all glass 20" strip light. It has supplied plenty of watts for the water sprite, the anacharis and moss. In fact, they grew a bit too well. Hmmmmmm. Will a weedeater work under water???
If you're talking about a weedwhacker, then no. Thats what we call it down here in the south. LOL'D at yankees.. j/k
I didn't know all-glass made a CF light strip for the 10 gallon.
Unless I'm wrong then its a 15W NO?

Anyways
I didn't know female bettas can be together. But I think I just want one Male betta in the 10 gallon. I've added some more sand to the tank, so I'm going to the store sometime later this week. Giving me more time to collect my thoughts on stocking the tank.

I beg your pardon, I am damn yankee!! Have been for 5 years & ain't going back. :D Yup, the light is a 15W NO.

Good luck with the betta tank, but a word of caution. Many, many people have gone to get "just one betta". A few months later .. 8O .. they have a dozens tanks with "just one betta". Multiple Betta Syndrom may be even more insidious than MTS. Anfd just as much fun!!

So tonight while I went out to get bloodworms for the guppies, I bought 1 male betta with a mixed darkblue with darkred coloring. I also bought 4 flame tetras with 4 serpae tetras. Right now they kind of school with eachother, well betta is kind of a rogue. But I saw the interesting that he did, his gills went out like an umbrella and then retracted. It was so awsome. I feel bad because I don't have alot of deco for the fish to hide around. I should take a picture once they get comfortable.
Right now the tetras are a bit skittish.

I think it was a bad idea of getting the serpae tetras, because my betta "Flares up" at them and he nipped on them and they nipped him back.

Anyways I got some pics of the new group.

The Tank....
newfish10.JPG

newfish104.JPG

My cat's ear in the pic LOL! He was the one messing up the angle.
newfish105.JPG

newfish101.JPG

One of the flame tetras.
newfish102.JPG

The group of flame and Serpae tetras.
newfish106.JPG

My betta, after getting pick on by the serpae tetras. :(
newfish103.JPG

newfish107.JPG

newfish108.JPG

So should they'll be ok after they get use to each other?

I would get that betta out of there if it were me. Serpae can be very nippy and a slow moving male betta is a very inviting target.

You might be right.
Instead of moving him to an uncycled tank. I'm going to divide the 10 gallon he is in.
I have a tank divider on hand from a previous setup.
I might buy another one and get another betta so the tank won't look awkward.

Back
Top Bottom