10 Gallon Stocking Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kirstos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone

I have a 10 gallon (38 UK litres) tank (my first tank) and few months ago I massively overstocked it after some bad advice from the LFS who would not take any of the fish back and of course I lost them all in the end. So I have torn the tank down and am starting again with a fishless cycle (and a different fish store..). I am desperate for it not to be overstocked this time as it was devastating last time. While it cycles I have been thinking about stocking ideas.

So what do you guys think of some of these ideas: :fish2:

Option 1 - 1 Honey Gourami, 8 Chili Rasboras and 1 Netrite Snail

Option 2 - 12-15 Chili Rasboras or Celestial Pearl Danios depending on what was available

Option 3 - 6 Chili Rasboras and 7 Celestial Pearl Danios

Option 4 - 6 white cloud mountain minnow

Option 5 - 1 betta if I found one that was truly fabulous and 1 Netrite Snail

Option 6 - 6 Cherry Barbs and 1 Netrite Snail

Option 7 - 1 Honey Gourami, 6 green neon tetras or ember tetras (although I have never seen either in my local stores) and 1 Netrite Snail

Option 8 - 6 Checkered Barbs and 1 Netrite Snail

I had thought about some Cory's or Ottos but I would not be able to find anything small enough in my local shops in the case of Cory's and I know Ottos can be really fragile so I have decided to avoid both of those.

I would appreciate comments on my ideas. I have been doing lots of research into species that will be a suitable size for such a small tank but it is the combinations that I have struggled with. :thanks:

I have soft water with a low PH and the tank will be planted.

otos are not that fragile. i dont know who told you that but they are more like beginner fish. everything is pretty much overstocked except option 4, 5, and 6

What a load of rubbish, otos are indeed susceptible to high nitrAtes and subsequently deemed frail.

otos are not that fragile. i dont know who told you that but they are more like beginner fish. everything is pretty much overstocked except option 4, 5, and 6

That's not true at all. Ottos need established tanks as they primarily feed off bio film and algae.

I would say definitely not a beginners fish.

I'm guessing the person that told her was every other person on the Internet who has been in hobby for years and and experience with them.
Yes, a wild caught fish that eats biofilm found on plants and in mature tanks is not fragile at all.

Don't go with Otos, great fish for the right kind and size of tanks, nerite snails will eat alage. Do not go over 6 tetras over that, it's over stocked. The only possible cories would be pygmy, but those are hard to find.

Www.AqAdvisor.com

Put in your tank size, stocking ideas and it will tell you your stocking % :)

Also if you go with small schooling fish. Throw some shrimp in there to, I'd recommend red cherry shrimp for a beginner that's what I have. They have the smallest bioload ever so don't worry about them adding to stock levels too much. :)

Hi everyone

I have a 10 gallon (38 UK litres) tank (my first tank) and few months ago I massively overstocked it after some bad advice from the LFS who would not take any of the fish back and of course I lost them all in the end. So I have torn the tank down and am starting again with a fishless cycle (and a different fish store..). I am desperate for it not to be overstocked this time as it was devastating last time. While it cycles I have been thinking about stocking ideas.

Option 2 - 12-15 Chili Rasboras or Celestial Pearl Danios depending on what was available

Option 7 - 1 Honey Gourami, 6 green neon tetras or ember tetras (although I have never seen either in my local stores) and 1 Netrite Snail

I had thought about some Cory's or Ottos but I would not be able to find anything small enough in my local shops in the case of Cory's and I know Ottos can be really fragile so I have decided to avoid both of those.

I would appreciate comments on my ideas. I have been doing lots of research into species that will be a suitable size for such a small tank but it is the combinations that I have struggled with. :thanks:

Dude people way overestimate how much of a bioload these fish have. You will be fine with most of these options. Especially in a planted tank! I would probably only do 1 school though as these nanos generally are shy and do better with large numbers of there own kind.

Dude people way overestimate how much of a bioload these fish have. You will be fine with most of these options. Especially in a planted tank! I would probably only do 1 school though as these nanos generally are shy and do better with large numbers of there own kind.

It's just not based on bioload, it's based on tank sized, water avabile, how active they are, ect. So no you wouldn't be fine with all those in a tank. I think a school of 6 max would be it IMO. Though your right about nanos and such. :)

It's just not based on bioload, it's based on tank sized, water avabile, how active they are, ect. So no you wouldn't be fine with all those in a tank. I think a school of 6 max would be it IMO. Though your right about nanos and such. :)

Not argueing ok just want to point something out real quick. 5 of those nanos (in the case of the cpds and embers not the gourami) would have the equivilant bioload of 1 guppy. People keep 3 guppies in a 10 alot. Also the plants will natuarly filter the water. The swimming space wont be an issue as the are miniscule. I think if he went with 15 of one of those 2 nanos he would be fine. Maybe not without plants though....

Hi everyone

You can go with 2,4,5, or 6 as long as you have good filtration and do weekly pwc you will be fine

Not argueing ok just want to point something out real quick. 5 of those nanos (in the case of the cpds and embers not the gourami) would have the equivilant bioload of 1 guppy. People keep 3 guppies in a 10 alot. Also the plants will natuarly filter the water. The swimming space wont be an issue as the are miniscule. I think if he went with 15 of one of those 2 nanos he would be fine. Maybe not without plants though....

Lol, I'm sorry. Just nanos are harder to find (in my case at least) unless your ordering offline, as the OP is new to the hobby, I didn't want them running off an buying like 16 black skirts haha. (Not saying they would) but having to many plants can be a bad thing too, they put off carbon dioxide if you get to many. :)

Lol, I'm sorry. Just nanos are harder to find (in my case at least) unless your ordering offline, as the OP is new to the hobby, I didn't want them running off an buying like 16 black skirts haha. (Not saying they would) but having to many plants can be a bad thing too, they put off carbon dioxide if you get to many. :)

Yes I probably shoupd have clarified lol sorry. Yes if you get ember tetras or CPDs you could have maybe 15. Other larger tetras that would be a big no lol
Yes I have heard that about the plants. I hope I never have to worry about that....

What kind of plants are you using? Will you have a lid? Nerite snails have a tendency to escape aquariums. You should look at shrimp as well. Amano shrimp are larger shrimp and eat most algae you would encounter with planted tank. The reason I ask plants is due to color in tank. If you get a red and blue beta and have green plants, it would look nice. You could also try a live bearer like Endler guppies. The males are colorful and I have successfully kept them with a beta in a 10 gallon.

What kind of plants are you using? Will you have a lid? Nerite snails have a tendency to escape aquariums. You should look at shrimp as well. Amano shrimp are larger shrimp and eat most algae you would encounter with planted tank. The reason I ask plants is due to color in tank. If you get a red and blue beta and have green plants, it would look nice. You could also try a live bearer like Endler guppies. The males are colorful and I have successfully kept them with a beta in a 10 gallon.

What types of algae will amanos eat? I may pick up a few lol

Ok Ok I need to step in here.
First off, any of the fish you listed ARE FINE besides the barbs. You could squeeze the cherry barbs in if you wanted but I wouldn't.
Second plants don't put off carbon dioxide. Last time I checked it's oxygen.
Third, these nano schoolers are soooooo tiny that they hardly have any bioload, you could safely keep 15-20 in a planted 10g and be fine, honestly.

Ok Ok I need to step in here.
First off, any of the fish you listed ARE FINE besides the barbs. You could squeeze the cherry barbs in if you wanted but I wouldn't.
Second plants don't put off carbon dioxide. Last time I checked it's oxygen.
Third, these nano schoolers are soooooo tiny that they hardly have any bioload, you could safely keep 15-20 in a planted 10g and be fine, honestly.

I agree the cherries are pushing it. I believe plants do put off co2 at night and o2 during the day.

I could be wrong but I disagree on the 'too many plants' thing.

Both statements are true- plants put out oxygen during the day while carrying out photosynthesis, and use oxygen in cellular respiration (like animals) at night when they aren't conducting photosynthesis. That being said, IMO you can never have too many plants (well if you have it literally stuffed full then maybe, but that would take a lot. And even then, it would be "too many" because the fish wouldn't have much room to swim (or they would be even less visible- heck, they're nano fish), NOT because they would "use too much oxygen". As long as you have enough surface agitation (to help gas exchange) it should be fine.

For stocking, IMO any of the options, accept the barbs would work, like Scottyhorse said. I wouldn't keep more than one schooling fish in there though, just because I like to keep one kind of fish (schooling, bottom dweller etc) per tank. It's just a personal preference. The CPDs and chilis might not get along well if you got both. If you do get chilis (and not CPDs), I recommend 15-16. They are TINY fish that are very inactive with TINY bioloads.

Back
Top Bottom