10 Gallon Stocking Suggustions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been brainstorming ideas for reviving a friend's tank. It's a ten gallon with a filter and heater, but no lid. The substrate is a mix of large river rocks and some marbles. Decor is all plastic decorations, no live plants (or fake plants, for that matter). The only inhabitant at this time is a very old cherry barb.
They have young kids so it'd be nice to have a cool tank that interests the children, or fish that they'd enjoy. But nothing too complicated, they've got tons of things to do and can't spend too much time with upkeep or finicky fish.
Depending on what changes they'd be willing to make (i.e. add a lid, change the substrate, plant the tank, re-home the barb) my stock ideas shift. I'll have to ask them to see what they want to do, but in the meantime... does anyone have stocking ideas?
I'd appreciate either ideas that work with the current state of the tank
OR
Ideas that would work with some changes made (please name those changes!)

Thank you in advance for your help. I think it would be amazing to help them convert their tank into something they could really enjoy.

Are they looking for low maintenance or are they willing to get fish that need more attention? That will help narrow it down, plus any preferences for colors, if they like schooling fish or not. Ten gallons is kinda small so I'd look more towards nano fish and the like, see what they might find interesting

My first 10 gallon was 10 ember tetras, 5 Ghost shrimp, 5 cherry shrimp, 5 nerites snails and a lone guppy. It was really pretty to watch the embers school around the larger fish and the clean up crew kept the tank almost pristine for me. Instead of the guppy they can keep their old cherry barb. Add a few fake or real plants and their setup wouldn't need much of an overhaul. Added benefit of embers being hardy but pretty fish.

Back
Top Bottom