10 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nemo6292

Aquarium Advice Activist
When my tank finishes it's cycling process, I was wondering if y'all could help me choose my fish. Even if it's just two or three what should I put in it. I like ciclids because of the variety if color. I also like Cory cats and loaches (the loaches that resemble eels). I want a odd looking, fun to look at, fish. Something different than your normal fish. I've got a heater, filter, and bubbling volcano.

I think you are going to need to do some research on the various fish you are considering.

While I don't personally know details about all the various species, I did try to use Freshwater Fish: Freshwater Tropical Fish Species for Tropical Fish Tanks to get some very basic info.

For various ciclids (african and new world) minimum tank sizes were listed at 30 to 70 gallons (depending upon the exact species).

For the cory, minimum sizes were listed as 20 or 30 gallons.sizes.

Loaches ranged from 30 to 50 gallons.

While 10 gallons might sound big to you, when it comes to fish care, especially making the fish care reasonable to keep up with, you are going to have to think very small. We're talking things like tetras.

Even things like mollies and guppies list minimum tank sizes at 20 to 30 (namely because while these fish are small, they need a small "school" of them).

So far, the only things I've found listed for 10 gallon tanks is tetras, platies, danios, and glofish.

I've also heard of tanks that were nothing but invertibrates. For example, a tank full of nothing but shrimp.

The only other thing that comes to mind is a single betta... but again, I'm not up on all the various fish species.

Do a search on the site. There are lots of 10g stock threads. 10g cuts your choices a lot but there are still some great nano fish that will work well.

IMO danios/glofish need a 20gallon long tank minimum.

I've read about all the different fish and what I've found is EVERYONE, and all the different websites say something different. While I was looking up the different ways to cycle my tank, everyone had something different to say. I got so stressed and worried over it. I'm kinda thinking about just ENJOYING the fish tank. And giving the fish I get a good home, in other words, I'm not going to over crowd or anything but at the same time, I think some ppl over-think things.

That's the thing. Everyone has a different idea what fish belong in what tank. what you need to do is pick a fish you like, research it and see what info is repeated the most. Ask on here then make up your mind if it is suitable for your tank. For example: some say neons in a 5g others say a 20g personally I'd do nothing smaller than a 10g maybe an 8g.

When my tank finishes it's cycling process, I was wondering if y'all could help me choose my fish. Even if it's just two or three what should I put in it. I like ciclids because of the variety if color. I also like Cory cats and loaches (the loaches that resemble eels). I want a odd looking, fun to look at, fish. Something different than your normal fish. I've got a heater, filter, and bubbling volcano.
if you go with cichlids go for shell dwellers. i cory cats would be fine in a 10. loachs i wouldnt do the ones that look like the ones you described need 20+ i would recommend tetras.

Thanks guys!! I think it would be neat to have them puffer fish.

They are actually pretty easy to care for. I had one for about 2 years in a 10 gallon. Personally I am looking at doing a shrimp tank with a school of guppies in a 10 gallon in our bedroom.

I have fairly hard well-water. Would that be a problem with puffer fish?? And y'all said "dwarf puffers"??

Yup, a full puffer will not be suitable for a 10g. Also I believe they are brackish but idk. In a ten gallon your choices are limited really. I myself would do a shrimp and snail tank... That would be cool. There are some cories that are ok for a 10. Also tetras, guppys, platies, would be good for it.:

Be sure to completely research the puffers prior to purchase. There are some that wouldn't be good candidates for a 10 gallon.

Also, be sure you're dealing with a reputable lfs whose staff know which species they are selling.

If you decide to go with pretty fish instead, I can highly recommend ember tetras. I just got some for my community tank and think they'd be gorgeous (they're also tiny) in a small species only tank.

Pygmy would be the Cory. They are rather interesting fish at that to. Look into them.

Corydoras pygmaeus
C. hastatus
C. habrosus

are the three species of Corys I would recommend as ok for a 10g. Currently I have 5 C. habrosus in my heavily planted 10g.

They all are considered "Pygmy" Corys. many LFSs have them mislabeled so do your research and bring pics with you. Learn the latin names as common names are often used for different species.

My habrosus are known as Salt and Pepper Corys at times, but there is a much more common and Larger species sharing the name (C. paleatus ).

+1 for Ember Tetras ( on my wish list for my other 10g. )

I have Celestial Pearl Danios as my schooling fish in my main 10g. They color up so beautifully !!

With Nano fish, you can have a group of them without crowding and less poop :)

Mine started as a Shrimp only tank and is now a community tank. I'm cycling a 5.5g tank for my CRS (shrimp).

There are small Danios ( not Zebras) small Tetras, Sparkling Gouramis, lots of Nano fish....

Neons would be ok, but there are many other less common options. I love my Neons, but wish they had a bigger tank. A large school of Neons in a big planted tank is amazing !!!

My pH has thus far remained at 8.2 inside the tank. My well-water has a pH of 7.4. Why does it change in the tank?? And will a Cory cat be ok in a stable pH of 8.2??

Back
Top Bottom