10 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I hae a cycling 37 gallon tank currently. I also have a male betta in a bowl. Don't rant on me, I know its wrong. I've ha him for a few months and hope to get him a real tank Soon. So I may be able to get a ten gallon with everything but lights from my frien for free. I need some good plant lights for cheep?
So anyways, I've been wanting to do a nano tank with scarlet badis and all, but I also want my betta tank. So I plan to have a male betta and Mabye galaxy rasboras and shrimp? Wil that work?

It's possible but chances are high it won't work. Most of it will depend on the temperament of your betta, which in most cases falls into the category of no fish/shrimp tankmates. Not saying you can't try, just make sure you have a back up plan. I'd recommend trying a few cheap ghost shrimp first and see how your betta reacts.

Out of all the Bettas I've had, all of them have tolerated other fish as tank mates. As long as they have their own space they do fine IME. The only potential problem is with the shrimp. More often than not the betta will kill and try to eat them. That being said I've had two Bettas live with shrimp without harming them.

Thanks!

So from reading around I've discovered that bettas being intolerant if tankmates is just a common misconception. They mostly just don't accept flashy tails and male bettas. So what would be stocking? Do I have to pick 1 small schooling fish? My betta is teal blue so I am thinking red will look best. I am thinking either galaxy rasbora, dwarf Pygmy rasboras, ember tetras, it misqueto fish. Will any Of those work?

Probably any of those except the mosquito fish; they can get up to 3", can be aggressive and produce rather rapidly. I have ember tetra and celestial pearl danio; both are lovely fish but I'm partial to the CPDs.

So would it be overstocked with

1 male betta
6 cpd
4 Pygmy Cory's
? Can I swap the Cory's for otos or shrimp

I'm not sure on the stocking but I do have both fish and shrimp in with my female betta. There are 5 emerald rasboras and 3 orange cherry shrimp in with her and the betta never bothers her tankmates. If anything she gets curious about the shrimp and watches them for a minute before getting bored and swimming away. Just make sure to have plenty of hiding places. My 10 is full of plants and a piece of driftwood. The shrimp actually found a hole in the DW and made me think I lost them for a couple days while they explored.

Back
Top Bottom