10 Gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnyp03

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I just got a fish tank today its a 10 gallon.
The fish I picked out was a blue whale, it has whiskers on it though so im told its a catfish of sorts.
I got 5 pounds of pebbles and a live plant.
Set up:
after filling the tank I applied a API stress coat to the water let it sit for 20 minutes before I did the pebbles, plant, and fish.
My question is how to I keep the fish happy and alive. will it eat gold fish granules is a pinch a day enough? What else should I get next, keep in mind that im on a small budget so please prioritize needs first and then aesthetics. My goal is to get a healthy tank that doesnt require too much maintenance. id like my fish to be happy too please.

Have you cycled the tank?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can you post a picture of the catfish?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah he didn't cycle it. If you can you will probably want to return the fish. Cycling with a fish is a ton of work.b I'm on my phone so I can't post a link to how to cycle but I'm sure someone else will.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Even if he returned the fish it would just be bought by somebody else who will kill in if a month any way, so he mine aswell keep cycling with it. Even if it dies it will break down too ammonia. Although this guy is a complete idiot for not researching how to set up an aquarium,
and a bit naive to think that it will be low maintenance with happy fish. I believe it doesn't matter if he returns this fish to petco its doomed ether way.

I would try to find some kind of pellet food for a catfish because they stay at the bottom of the tank. Also yes cycling a new tank is tough and it needs to be completed before adding any more fish. You will need to do water changes weekly and keeping testing the ammonia most LFS can do this for you!as always if you have friends with established tanks take some of their filter gunk and put in your tank and it will help the cycle along.

He will need to get a test kit and monitor ammonia,nitrite,and nitrate and do daily water changes till tank is cycled . That is why fish in cycling is such a pita . Oh, and what's with the name calling? We were all new at one point . If you can't help someone fix their mistakes,then maybe a forum is not the place for you .

He will need to get a test kit and monitor ammonia,nitrite,and nitrate and do daily water changes till tank is cycled . That is why fish in cycling is such a pita . Oh, and what's with the name calling? We were all new at one point . If you can't help someone fix their mistakes,then maybe a forum is not the place for you .

+1 to this. We've all made mistakes. The point of this forum is always to help others :)

<g.m.t.a>

Back
Top Bottom