10 gallon tank - how soon for live plants? Stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimsz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good Morning,

I have a 10 gallon tank I set up in my office for myself and a 10 year old to take care of. He's shown an interest in fish and the local chain pet store suggested a 10 gallon tank (now, I wish we had gotten a 20 gallon but they were clear on starting with a 10).

The tank was setup without any problem. We have a couple of ceramic items to give the fish shelter and some plastic plants, filter works fine, heater, long airstone, etc.

After a waiting period we added a couple fish, waited, added a 3 more (with water testing in-between). One fish died within 24 hours of getting it but the water tested fine that day and for the next week. He is now ready to add a final 2 or 3 fish. Currently we have a 2 small zebra fish (the 3rd died), guppy and another small non schooling passive fish for a total of 4 fish.

A couple questions because I have being told conflicting things at the pet store.

1. I assume real plants are better than fake but have been told I need to wait 2-6 months before adding live plants. which is it - 2 or 6?

2. One person told me to change my water a couple gallons every week starting now and the other person said I should not change any water for the first 4-6 weeks and then do half the water at a time.

3. I have heard about the 1" 1gal rule but have decided to simply get enough fish so that they look comfortable and seem active. I would rather have fewer fish with them safe rather than more and have them die.

4. When should I start cleaning the gravel?

5. If the boy keeps his interest in this I think I can make room for a larger tank (20 or 25 gallons?) as that would seem to be easier to keep a balanced water setup than a 10. How long would you recommend I wait and what would be the process to transfer the fish to a new tank? My assumption would be to wait for 6 months or more for the present take to be stable and begin to mature?

6. The boy wants ghost catfish. Would 3 of these be a wise introduction as the final addition to the tank?

Sorry for the length but the conflicting advice from the local chain pet store (the only pet store in the area) makes me want to look elsewhere for advice.

You can put plants in right away I usually set up my planted tanks with plants and let it cycle that way.

I don't really understand the second question about cycling part of the water the bacteria grows on the surfaces inside the tank..

A ten gallon tank can't hold 10 inches of fish comfortable.

I clean the gravel when it gets dirty.

When you upgrade you can do a soft cycle by using the media out of your filter. I usually soft cycle in about a week or two.

Wait until you upgrade for the ghost catfish since they like to be in groups and only 1 would be ok in a 10 gallon

You are doing it right ask questions at the LFS then research if it isn't clean come to AA and ask someone will know the answers. BTW the bigger the tank the better within reason.

I don't really understand the second question about cycling part of the water the bacteria grows on the surfaces inside the tank..

My mistake, I did not mean cycle the water, I meant to say change the water. I'll correct that.

The tank will have at most 7 fish.

Back
Top Bottom