10 gallon tank stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The smaller ones well let you trade

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Maybe you could do neon tetras. I wouldn't do kuhlis with gravel

Fishobsessed7

If the gravel has smooth edges you can

But they like to burrow In the sand and that's a lot harder to do in gravel

Fishobsessed7

Yeah but different fish have different personalities and generally cories go well with them

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

We'll have to disagree

10g or smaller is not ideal for most Cories. Unless it is strictly a breeding tank. Then you can use a 10g.

Normal Dwarf Cories hit 2-3" and need at least a 20L for enough real estate to swim. Plus they prefer groups of 6 or more. PLUS sand is recommended over gravel for Cories.

Have you ever seen an older adult Corydoras??? I've seen some hefty females. Saw a lot yesterday in San Francisco. At Aqua Forest and Justin's store Ocean Aquarium.

One of my club members breeds Cories as well.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never seen a full grown one
Before

We'll have to disagree

10g or smaller is not ideal for most Cories. Unless it is strictly a breeding tank. Then you can use a 10g.

Normal Dwarf Cories hit 2-3" and need at least a 20L for enough real estate to swim. Plus they prefer groups of 6 or more. PLUS sand is recommended over gravel for Cories.

Have you ever seen an older adult Corydoras??? I've seen some hefty females. Saw a lot yesterday in San Francisco. At Aqua Forest and Justin's store Ocean Aquarium.

One of my club members breeds Cories as well.

When you have a second, could you give me some names of dwarf cories? When I look it up, all I get are the pygmy species. Not looking to get them at this time, but, if we ever get a 20g tank in the future I want to know what to look for :)

I love our little pygmys but THEY'RE SO TINY lol.

When you have a second, could you give me some names of dwarf cories? When I look it up, all I get are the pygmy species. Not looking to get them at this time, but, if we ever get a 20g tank in the future I want to know what to look for :)

I love our little pygmys but THEY'RE SO TINY lol.

There are only 3 pygmy species. All others are larger.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/genus.php?genus_id=1

C pygmaeus
C hastatus
C habrosus are the pygmy species

Every Cory you see easily available is a "dwarf" species. Except Emerald "Cory"....they are actually Brochis splendens a slightly larger cousin.

There are 3 types to the complex - aspidoras, corydoras and brochiis. They are listed in ascending order.

Thank You aqua_holic. PC is a big site. I typically read one species and leave LOL

I just know many of the commonly available species. And how many are sold falsely as C julii

Most of those are fin nippers

They have a reputation for such, yes. But this LFS has been putting bettas in these community tanks for over a year. I visit the store about once a week. I've never seen bettas with damaged fins. The owner says 85% of the bettas are peaceful in this situation, and fin nips are rare.

I'm curious if it has to do with overall stocking. These are 20 gallon tanks.

It's really something to see bettas swimming in a large tank.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

So neons and Bettas are out due to the fin nipping...
I'm probably going to get snails... How many could I get?

Goldfish (1 MAYBE 2; most likely 1 though) wouldn't work due to the betta, right?

Goldfish require a much larger tank and have different temperature requirements than a betta. Goldfish are cold water fish, Bettas are tropical and need warmer water.

I sucessful keep red cherry shrimp and snails with my betta. Good for a ten gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've read that Corydoras pygmaeus will often coexist with betas, in large part because they're opaque and inconspicuous. If the pygmy corys have lots of caves for hiding and are in a (relatively) spacious 20 gallon tank that minimizes the beta's stress, I'd like their chances.

Back
Top Bottom