10 gallon tank stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxDriftingAway

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,

I have a beta and I want to get one or 2 friends. I will keep them in the 10 gallon until I move to my apartment and adopt my parents 20 gallon tank in early May.

What kind of fish (besides plecos) can I have in the tank with Jill, my beta.

Here is a picture...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414723913.902448.jpg

Corys
Kuhli loaches
African dwarf frogs
Maybe ghost shrimp I'm not 100% on them
Snails
If your betta is a female you can more females
An otto algae eater

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

If you get other females you need to have them in groups of 6+ to spread the aggression. But it is best to add them all at the same time so you might want to take out your fish and rearrange your tank and them put her in at the same time as the others. But you would also want to add a few more place they can hide from aggressive fish. There are also some bettas that are overly aggressive that you would have to rehome.

Fishobsessed7

Younger bettas will sometimes show less aggression but you should make that tank heavily planted just incase

If you get other females you need to have them in groups of 6+ to spread the aggression. But it is best to add them all at the same time so you might want to take out your fish and rearrange your tank and them put her in at the same time as the others. But you would also want to add a few more place they can hide from aggressive fish. There are also some bettas that are overly aggressive that you would have to rehome.

Fishobsessed7

Wouldn't 6 be too many for my tank?

Younger bettas will sometimes show less aggression but you should make that tank heavily planted just incase

Jill is still a baby so if I got more now would they stay with less aggression as they get older?

I'm still only playing with the idea. I am waiting until December to get any additional fish.

Since I would prefer to not have to get more decorations until I upgrade to the 20 gallon tank in May... Any other suggestions for my setup now?

Most likely but some bettas are just overly aggressive some times I can't tell you what you will end up with

Most likely but some bettas are just overly aggressive some times I can't tell you what you will end up with

True. Mine doesn't seem that way so maybe I'll get a different kind of fish...
To try and prevent that.

Do you go to a smaller pet store or do you go to petsmart / petco

Because the smaller pet stores well some times let you trade if a betta does not work out

In my 10 gal tank with my male crowntail red Betta, named Big Red, I have 3 small cories and 2 netrite snais. They don't breed in fresh water so no snail explosions and they are great for eating algea. The also don't produce a lot of waste nor do they have the big eye stocks also that some of the apple and bigger snails have so there isn't much for a betta to get a hold of. I would not do a school of 6 bettas in a 10 gal because of aggresion. My peppered catfish mostly hang around the bottom or check out the plant leaves for scrapes so they don't get in each others way. I also use silk plants for the betta so as not to tear their fins on anything sharp. Alison:dance::fish2:

The ONLY things I would recommend for such a bare tank set up would be.

Ghost Shrimp

They might survive.

Normal Dwarf Cories hit 2-3" and need at least a 20L for enough real estate to swim. Plus they prefer groups of 6 or more. PLUS sand is recommended over gravel for Cories.

Same with Kuhlis

Some Bettas will just kill ADF.

Tank needs to be well established and should have live plants for Otos. Plus they are social and prefer groups. I've had 4 in my heavily planted 10g. Single Otos often waste away.

A snail might survive. Some Bettas just bite their antennas off. But the snail would prefer live plants to clean. If the tank is new, the snail will just starve.

Adding more Bettas, even females without lots of plants to hide in, is asking for dead or injured fish.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was me, I would add a piece of driftwood with a Java Fern. Give your Betta some real plants to hide in and rest on. The plants can move into your 20g. Java Ferns will grow under almost any light.

I would put a black cloth or background on the tank as well. Give your fish more security.

Kuhlis do fine in a 10g mine are growing eating and are active and you could fit 3 ottos in there no problem but I agree with you needing a heavily planted tank

I guess I should also add that I waited till I saw some algea before adding the snails. And I also have 4 good size marimo moss balls , some floating riccia and some floating water spangles and some small bits of java moss, A small cave and a ceramic jug made for a fish tank with 3 openings. And a lot of the silk plants that go up to the surface with big leaves. Lots of places to hide and rest on and it breaks up the line of sight. He gets his pellets twice a day has his main diet and likes to share the shrimp pellets that I feed the catfish, Bettas I think would eat till they explode. HEHE:D. Alison

Corydoras would be a lovely peaceful addition

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Corydoras would be a lovely peaceful addition

Considering my Betta killed 2 batches of Cories in a 12g it doesn't always work out.

The only Cories I'll recommend for a 10g are the three pygmy species. Since you can fit 5-6 in there as adults.
But NOT with a Betta.

Yeah but different fish have different personalities and generally cories go well with them

I was asking about this today at our LFS that keeps bettas in community tanks ...

He said about 85% of bettas that he's had were great in the community tanks in the store (sparsely decorated, heavily stocked 20 gallon tanks).

They put them with most of the peaceful community fish that aren't related or similar in appearance ... Platies, danios, mollies, tetras, rasboras, etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Most of those are fin nippers

Back
Top Bottom