Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
10 Gallon tank water keeps turning Green...

All parameters are normal.. its a 10g tank... 5ppm nitrites due to plants in the tank.. temperature is 82 (coming down from a 86* spike from bad petsmart brand heater..

I just changed the water yesterday.. and its already green again.. when i say green.. i mean algea green. and i cant figure it out... any clues?

Old 04-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

try a blackout on the tank for a few days, and then do a big water change. I had something similar to that and it took a week of no light to clear the tank up--looks great now tho. Im not sure what causes it. If im correct you have pea soup by what your describing. I would do huge water changes every day or two and it still wouldnt go away.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
the lights only on 8 hours a day.. thats why i wasnt thinking it was lighting issue.. that and i have a common pleco, and a rubberlip pleco in that tank... still though.. guess ill try the blackout.. thanks beglely
Old 04-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

the amount time is still relevant to how much light you have over the tank. I have a 40watt light over my 10 gallon tank and untill I started adding ferts and co2 I had to knock it down to around 5 1/2 hours a day before I had the algae under control.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would try a blackout for a few days. Have you thought about purchasing a cheap UV filtration system. I saw them at petsmart for about 30 bucks.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #6

Uv never even crossed my mind to be honest with you.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would try the UV last. I think a few days of darkness and a good water change will get you working again. Probably should change filter cartridges and clean the pipes too. Green water and algae are such a pain!!! I am fighting a small case of thread algae at the moment. Got it from dwarf hair grass from ebay
Old 04-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #8

well its just strange.. i have 4 tanks in my house... and the 5.5 is fine.. the 10 is green.. the 55 is great except for a little red algea(saltwater).. and the 125 is pristine... so i dunno lol out of all the tanks.. the 10 gallon has more algae eaters in it than the others do. its all in the water though.. like the algae is a tannin or something.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

actually i would use algaecides last and the UV filter before that. Try a blackout and see what happens. I read that algae problems arise from excess nutrients in an aquarium, which isnt a bad thing but lets algae thrive when plants arent around to suck up the nutrients. And the common pleco and rubberlip will eat solid algae...however pea soup is microparticles of algae (its simplest form essentially) and for fish to eat it they would have to drink massive amounts of water to consume it since the particles are so small.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:01 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

how much and what kind of light do you have over it? compared to the other tanks?

Tags
10 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com