10 galon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
K

kansaschick08

hey yall! i finaly upgraded my tank to a 10 gallon. can i use the same filter that came in the package with my 2.5 gal tank? if not what is a good filter brand, that is under $30? i bought the tank from goodwill, because i didnt want to spend over $50 for a whole new tank. everything is there (except the filter) and it is a good tank and all, just could use a good scrubbing. well i feel beter now that i know that i have a bigger tank for 19 fish..all mollies...if i bought a couple more fish and put them in the new 10 gal tank would that be bad? please reply! :smilecolros:

The filter for the 2.5 gal will be way to small to use on a 10 gal.
You can get a Penguin 125 that filters 125 gallons an hour.
Its good for a tank up to 20gal.
$18.49
OR
You can get an AquaClear 150 that filters 150gal an hour.
Its good for tanks up to 30gal
$16.49

Both are at www.petsolutions.com

I would go for the AquaClear as it filters more and costs less.
Cant ever have to much filtration.
HTH

I have a wisper power filter on my 10 gallon, I can't remember how much i paid for it, but I know it was under $30. It's really quiet and it works really well so far. I dunno if I would recommend putting any more fish in that tank. It seems like a lot as it is for that size of a tank :?

But Endgame if he is willing to spend up to $30 why not go with a bigger filter?
Like I said in my last post there is no such thing as to much filtrartion.

um were you refering to me when u said "he" ...im sorry to say but im a she...and the guy at petsmart said that a 2.5 gal tank filter would be good for a 10 gal. he said that it would still work.

you are more than welcome to use the filter that you have. Just keep in mind that it will not create enough water turnover to keep the fish at a healty level. The minimum for a filter would be a Aqua clear mini or a Penguin mini. Also, like Oscarbreeder said, you can never have enough filtration so going with something with a bit more filtration will not hurt at all. A little word of advice as well....the majority of employees at a "Petsmart" or likewise store have no idea what fish need and they just want to make a sale. HTH.

yall i am so stupid...i thought that i had mollies and a tetra... I DONT! they are no where near there... :oops: :eek2:

well i feel beter now that i know that i have a bigger tank for 19 fish..all mollies...
That tank is stocked. When all the fish grow to full size, the tank will be overstocked and they will continue to have offspring.

What--Mollies and a tetra??? What do you have?

menagerie...im posting some picures in a little while...they rnt mollies nor tetras...i discovered this today... :oops:

What?? These fish bear live young--correct? That means only Mollies, guppies or swordtails (that I know of). Unless the fish are coming out of the mouth of the female, then you more than likely have cichlids.
I will take a look at the pics tomorrow.

kansaschick,

Im so sorry I didnt mean to call you a he..LOL

It is my opinion that a filter for a 2.5gal tank is to small for a 10gal.
This only makes sence.

Agreed oscarbreeder, the filter that came with the 2.5 is MUCH too small for a 10 gallon. I also second your recommendation of an AquaClear 150.
Great filters, do a much better job then most filters three time their price and as you already said, you can't have too much filteration.

Angela

still a little late but id go with the penguins watever u wish to get. they have biowheels. im pretty sure the aquaclears dont but i may be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom