100% honest info needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1 on that.

I actually hook the python up to the garden hose, right outside the front door and let the waste water hit the garden... I change about thirty gallons every week, takes about 15-20 minutes including glass scraping.

i do the same but it goes to my trees. turn the water on to start sucking then turn it off. once 50% or so is out i fill it back up with the hose. been working so far for me. trees never looked better also.

what sucks is I had a python for my tanks when I was a teenager, actually tossed it a few years back figuring Id never use it this soon. what a stooge,eh? I will get another one soon, give me an excuse to get it, the wife isnt any wiser on what I need to keep up with the tank he he he

More water changes and cutting back on your photoperiod (invest in a timer if you don't have one) should help with the algae. I would keep the light(s) on about 8-9 hours a day instead of 10-12. Getting more stem plants could help too...Anacharis and Hornwort are good low light, nutrient hogs. :) Good for algae combating.

What kind of algae do you have? If you are unsure...what does it look like?

Its hard to describe now that the plants in there are a natural darker green and so that algae camo's into it and I see the mass rather then color, not sure if its clearer or green algae. Its not alot at all, but its algae.

all the fish eat on it as the days go on, I cant really feel it when I do plant and sand maintence/grooming.

The glass had what looks like bacteria on it, looks identical to the stuff on my rocks, like little antenna sticking up off the surface maybe 2-3 cm maybe 1-2 cm realistically tall. I am going to see if anyone at work has a digital SLR camera so I can get a close up pic, figure thats cheaper then buying 2-4 grand worth of optics and adapters to get a very clear picture.

Found a pic on guitarfish.org that shows exactly what it is, diatoms

diatom.jpg

I am going to call my village idiot tomorrow and get a copy of the tap water report for my exact address.

It says it will clear up on its own over time, somehting about silica promoting the diatom's growth.

Here is a link to my water report, taken 06/07 results, no results for 08/09 posted I might have to get them if they have even done 09's yet.

What percentage or gallons for a 55 need to be changed out weekly?

I can only use gallons jugs so having 30-50 gallons of water sitting around to gas off is out of the question, especially with a 2 tots running around and the youngest being a water fiend. Makes for a bad situation.

What is the ALUM mixture to dip the plants, last anacharis I got gave me to tiny brown snails that consumed the tank in a matter of days.

I did end up picking up two decent sized MTS's I had the pleasure this morning around 430am cdt to see them both grazing side by side thru the sand, They move very quickly for a snail, they were crusing. When they were introduced to the tank they got knocked around from fish lips to fish lips, every fish had to try and eat it. They are greedy pig fish.

I appreciate all the help on this, I am still looking for a BNP though, I might go check the LFS's stock( LFS bred) and see what she's got. Not going to get one just yet just wanna watch em for a bit.

Thanks folks.

Check out the user Thom144e on aquabid. He is one of the two breeders I picked up some of my BN plecos from. Great prices and high quality fish. He knows what he's doing, and healthy fish are a result of it.

Back
Top Bottom