100 percent water change :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya but one thing.. nitrates can be removed from the system without water changes. Not saying dont do them but you can almost create a full loop of the nitrogen cycle in home aquariums with plants and forms of anaerobic bacteria creating gasses thatll escape lowering nitrates. The use of refugiums on FW tanks can be extremely beneficial in nitrate removal.

yes but for the average person, especially one that refuses to acknowledge even the basics of aquarium keeping procedures - like the nitrogen cycle, it's not something that is easily achieved. I know plants can use up nitrates but does it not generally take a large portion of plants, and a nice balancing act in regards to other factors. You need a proper stock, proper plants, lighting and minerals/ect for the plants. It's not a common case to have such a delicate balance in a tank and someone who closes off knowledge so easily isn't going to be able to attain that.

In most cases for the average person water changes are the only/best way to remove nitrates.

I'm still very knew to the hobby. I was into aquarium keeping in my teens almost 10 years ago but didn't really know much. I've only been back into this for less than a year and speaking from the "average" novice fish keeper I'm simply saying that water changes are the best way to go. There are other ways, apparently more than I've even realized existed which I'm so going to start reading about, but for the sake of a case by case situation water changes are the only way for some one with limited knowledge.

It's just a lot easier to explain the fact they just don't magically disappear without having to go into too much details.. heck knows that post was long enough with the stuff I posted. And who knows if he'll ever read it. :huh:

I'm still on AA but trying to let you'all argue your points to no one but I can't enjoy the sight with you people STILL POSTING JUST STOP SO HELP ME just stop!!!

Just close the freeking thread already PLEASE! I was looking for answers not this I understand I got an "answer" but this is crud...... Not the way to try and teach me something new I'm so done with this thread!

And yeah im ticked because I've had a ruff day working two jobs and trying to keep the house clean and trying to help both my sisters and I get on to see this.... Wow

You guys can't say I don't care cant say I neglect them and you can't be putting words in my mouth.. You people do not know me! Don't even try to think you do

Last edited by a moderator:
No one is taking this on a personal level. But if you do not do water changes, then yes, you are negelcting your fish. If you don't have the time to take care of them, then please, do not get into the hobby. Would you have a dog if you could never bathe it, take it for walks, and clean up his waste? Probably not. We are simply giving you information because we all love our fish. They are living creatures that have requirements.

aaronjohn20 said:
please do partial water changes and get yourself an api freshwater master test kit. Their only $20, and look into a python or something equivelant. Best $ you can spend for an aquarium hands down. I'm super glad this thread HAS calmed down. I seen a couple posts that were just rediculous and should of never been posted. Do we need a refresher course in TALC? Back to the main point though, most of the people here are just trying to help you josh. But your always gonna have 1 or so that are gonna push your buttons. Best thing to do in that case, ignore them and let the fire burn out on its own. No need in fueling an unwanted fire. I hope that you get this post and haven't left AA for good!

Here ttf, I ain't here to light a fire up under ya

TFF,

All you got was advice to start with, that's what I believe this site to be about, you asked for some advice right?

I think it went sour when you disregarded the advice, and suggested that you had a different way, problem is water changes really are not up for debate - the frequency perhaps but not the concept.

Take or leave the advice, folks here are thinking of the fishes well being!

Opinion is a funny thing, we're all entitled to one, its just lonely when yours differs from the masses...

I think the vast majority on here need a sensitivity training lesson I understand that the practices described here aren't what most of u would like to hear but the fact is most people in this hobby aren't as overly zealous as the people on this site. Most people I know would be doing the same thing as this person. Instead of criticizing them you should respectfully explain the scientific side of what's going on with the water chemistry. Information goes a long way to changing people's minds don't be so quick to judge rather sympathize with them and inform them don't just bark at them and say they are neglecting their pets that's pretty offensive. I understand both sides but I notice its very very easy to get criticized on this site making it turn more people away then help them and in the end now we don't get the chance to inform someone of possibly some better or different practices. No offense meant to anyone from this just what I was thinking while reading this thread.

Jesselav1233 said:
I think the vast majority on here need a sensitivity training lesson I understand that the practices described here aren't what most of u would like to hear but the fact is most people in this hobby aren't as overly zealous as the people on this site. Most people I know would be doing the same thing as this person. Instead of criticizing them you should respectfully explain the scientific side of what's going on with the water chemistry. Information goes a long way to changing people's minds don't be so quick to judge rather sympathize with them and inform them don't just bark at them and say they are neglecting their pets that's pretty offensive. I understand both sides but I notice its very very easy to get criticized on this site making it turn more people away then help them and in the end now we don't get the chance to inform someone of possibly some better or different practices. No offense meant to anyone from this just what I was thinking while reading this thread.

I'll have to disagree with you. Training sensitivity? Please...

You research before you buy a car right? You look into the breeder before buying a pure bred dog no?

You look into what type of cat your about to buy/adopt right?

What food will it need, kitty litter, litter box,toys etc etc.

So why not the same with fish? Research is your best friend.

Judge? Sympathize?

Yes... I sympathize with the OP, he won't take advice given and had someone other then the forum telling him other wise.

Then goes on a rant?

Lemme just stop here before I get myself caught up but I will say one more thing.

To judge someone would be foolish. I don't see anyone judging anyone they are simply reacting to the OP's response.

You should take your own advice for you my friend have just judge us all...

I'm just saying man its really easy to get criticized on here and it shouldn't be that way a little respect goes a long way and I don't think this person deserved to hear some of the things that where said to them. We all need to relax a little and remember we all like fish and should help each other not criticize them so much sorry if I offended you buddy.

Goal of the night before I fall asleep? Delete AA account maybe I'll start fresh in the future or maybe a differen forum signt

That's your choice and it's a shame you are going to shut off such a valuable source of info.

There were some harsh things said and I'm sorry if that has your back up. If you look at the info given to you though there are some very valuable points made. Maybe people will disagree with me but I think my post to you was not cruel or hateful. I gave you a lot of facts and a solution to your friends problem, as well as an explanation. I also explained out to you way people were getting so upset with you.

It's upsetting to see people treat fish poorly. So often you hear, they're cheap I'll get another. It's upsetting when you truly care about your fish. My fish are no different than my other pets, my cat, dog and bird. No different. They deserve the same dedication and work. Doing things differently is ok, when you maintain proper care. Rarely, or never doing water changes just isn't proper care. I'm sorry if you take offense to that but it's the way it is. I get that people don't do water changes to the degree many of us do, I usually do them twice a week about 40%. I know not everyone will do that, and it's fine. But there is a line between too much and too little and you are on the too little side. All we are saying is that you really need to bump that up and broaden your views.

Be open to learning more about the hobby. There is always something to learn and I've gotten the feeling that you've decided you don't need to know anymore. That turning to your friends dad is easier than taking the time to go out and learn yourself. Research is very important and taking 1 person at their word just isn't the best plan. Things have changed greatly over the years when it comes to keeping fish. Things have probably changed since he first got into the hobby. Water changes and cycling aren't money grabs or a waste of time. They are just the natural course of caring for your pet. You would change your cats litter box, walk your dog, clean them and not make them live in their own waste. Why are your fish any different?

Please just try to look passed some of the hurtful comments and see the info that was given in there. Go out and do some research on your own if you can't and learn about the delicate balance happening inside your tank. I don't think I've said anything rude or hurtful but if I have than I'm sorry. Things need to be said sometimes and it's not always easy when it's not what you want to hear.

Either way it is what it is now I hope they are still on hear because this is where I've learned the most from people and its very helpful.

Jesselav1233 said:
I'm just saying man its really easy to get criticized on here and it shouldn't be that way a little respect goes a long way and I don't think this person deserved to hear some of the things that where said to them. We all need to relax a little and remember we all like fish and should help each other not criticize them so much sorry if I offended you buddy.

We've tried to help the OP, no need to say sorry. You speak your mind and so do I. We always can agree to I disagree. The fact is the OP is NOT doing the right thing and the response of the OP show a lack of responsibility towards his fish keeping duties. He went on a rant and said he's living the forum.

You did see the pictures of the tank right? Disgusting and absolutely avoidable.

To clearly state that you are not testing and not doing water changes and are happy with that method? You say that on a fish forum, with people that have a passion for the hobby? And you honestly think no one is going to speak up?

This horse is dead....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom