100% silcone mildew resistant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justin_9733

Aquarium Advice Newbie
so I accidently made my sump out of mildew resistant silicone, I assumed since it said 100% silicone that it would be ok but then i noticed that it was mildew resistant. Do you think it would be ok as long as I washed the sump out really well? all I am going to have in the aquarium is 4 turtles, 2 oscars and some large goldfish. What should I do?

Strip the silicone in the sump....clean it off completely, and reseal with aquarium-safe stuff...if you do not, it will eventually kill all the fish.

I cannot return it since I have already used 1 and a half tubes of silicone so i guess that was a waste of $10, I scraped all the silicone out that I could but it looks like there may be some very thin strips of it in some places, I got most of it out though, it was kind of hard since I had about 10 peices of plexiglass to clean off also. Do you think it will be ok now with the very small amount of silicone that is still there?

no ... Get a flat razor blade and get it all off. That is the best thing i have seen to get it off completely.

justin,
Welcome to aquarium advice & sorry you have all that extra work to do. I hate redoing projects but I bet it will be lovely when its finished.

Uhm, goldfish don't go with oscars
goldfish are cold water.. and from what ive gathered oscars will eat anything

right?

lyquidphyre said:
Uhm, goldfish don't go with oscars
goldfish are cold water.. and from what ive gathered oscars will eat anything

right?

the oscars and goldfish have been together for over a year with no problems, oscars wont eat goldfish or even try to if the are large enough. I got out all the old silicone and bought some of the GE window and door kind without mildew resistance and I am about half way done resiliconing the sump, all the extra work sucks but it is worth it to keep everything healthy. thanks for all the help.

I have to ask does this new silicon say safe for fish on it anywhere??

I looked into this stuff awhile back the fish grade stuff is made alittle better with alot less toxins. I am not sure if window and door silicon is safe I would check into it further just to be safe. Good luck on your project!!

Only GE "Silicone I" is aquarium safe and will hold for submerged use....be certain that is what you have. Best way to have removed the old silicone is to scrape with a rasor blade and then clean with extra strength vinegar (to do this correctly, I hope you dissembled the sump to remove all the old silicone).

Back
Top Bottom