1000 gallon Tank: FW or SW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coalcut

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just finished my 340gal African tank about a month ago. Now I can't believe I've been given the opportunity to purchase a 1000 gallon saltwater system at a "you wouldn't believe me if I told you / you gotta be kidding me" / "I 'd be crazy to pass this up" price from a friend. The system includes acrylic tank, steel stand, sump (at least 500 + gal) to giant protien skimmers, two large chillers, large UV, live rock (no corals), lighting, and much more.

So here's the deal. I really have no desire for a saltwater tank. Just seems (especially with this size tank) like it would me way too much work.

My thoughts are:
1) to sell off all unnessary equipment and convert to a freshwater tank
2) since the tank has everything I need (don't have to purchase any additional equipment) I should just go head start a saltwater tank and learn.

At any rate..................this.....................is.......................... awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your thoughts?

SALT!

If for nothing else than the smaller water changes. Do you really want to change 500 gallons a week? Salt is no more difficult than fresh just remember that you have to take it slow.

#2. Seems pretty plug n play... Plus in all reality, the amount of water will yield a VERY stable salt water environment, and yes would be high maintenance, but no more maintenance than any other salt water tank. Would definitely be pricier though, cost of salt, RODI water, animals, etc. I wouldn't let the maintenance part deter you though, you should feel lucky you already have everything :cool:

You don't have to do weekly wc's in a FW system if you set it up correctly, just like in a SW system.

Either way just figure out what fish you really want and go from there, FW is way cheaper in general but ultimately you want something that you love, cost aside.

Out of curiosity was this deal on Craigslist? Have you physically seen the tank? It seems very similar to another post on AA...

A tank that size would create an extremely stable enviroment especially with the sump. But in this case I feel it all comes down to price. Also I believe most salt fish are wild caught and not as hardy. While most fresh fish are captive bred thus hardier. That sump could make a nice refugium which could make a nice plant grow out tank. I personally would go fresh, in a tank that size the possibilities are endless.

One major consideration if I were in your place would be facilities to make, store, and mix saltwater. Beyond that, I'd be torn if I was indeed lucky enough to confront this dilemma myself. Good luck with whatever you endeavor to keep.

Imagine the things you could do and the fish you could have if you made this a freshwater tank. Huge schools of fish, beautiful spotlight fish, and as many plants as you could ask for! If I were you I'd go fresh.

Fresh, think about it, multiple knife fish! Not a dozen ofem, but several! And pretty much anything else you want!

1,000 G Tank

Hello Coal...

Have never attempted a SW tank. But, if you went FW and set things up right, you could avoid water changes. Just a couple of weekly water top offs would do. Although with a tank this size, the top offs required due to evaportion would be considerable.

If I had the time, what a project!

B

Hello Coal...

Have never attempted a SW tank. But, if you went FW and set things up right, you could avoid water changes. Just a couple of weekly water top offs would do. Although with a tank this size, the top offs required due to evaportion would be considerable.

If I had the time, what a project!

B

With due respect, the need for PWCs (or not) would be entirely dependent on stock, feeding, and filtration. (If I ever get that 1000G Aro tank, I'll be changing lots of water. ;))

My only concern for a salt water tank that size would be the sheer electrical cost required to maintain the necessary lights.

Honestly I'd hate a tank that size, far too unwieldy.

Cynic said:
My only concern for a salt water tank that size would be the sheer electrical cost required to maintain the necessary lights.

Honestly I'd hate a tank that size, far too unwieldy.

A fish only or FOWLR doesn't need anything special, could be the same as it would be freshwater...

Benamayer said:
A fish only or FOWLR doesn't need anything special, could be the same as it would be freshwater...

The guy I bought my 72 from has a 1000 gal with I think he said around 600 for his sump and according to him he does a pwc once a year and says he has no chemistry issues what so ever. The system is so **** big it's pretty self sustaining. I couldn't even begin to imagine where I could put a tank that size.

Water Changes

With due respect, the need for PWCs (or not) would be entirely dependent on stock, feeding, and filtration. (If I ever get that 1000G Aro tank, I'll be changing lots of water. ;))

Hello HN1 this is PN2...

Anyway, hello shipmate. Actually, with the tank I had in mind, the water changes would depend on the way the tank is set up. I have a 55 G that's heavily stocked, around 150 Fancy Guppies or so and a dozen small Corydoras and I change a little water, about a gallon or two weekly. Granted, it's not 1,000 gallons, but this system will work no matter how small or large the tank. With the right plants emersed, you don't need to change the water at all, just top off what's lost to evaporation.

The fish thrive in the pure tank water, because the Aglaonema (Chinese Evergreen) take in the most toxic forms of nitrogen, like ammonia and nitrite. The nitrates in this tank were at 10 ppm, the last time I tested, quite a while ago. The tank's been running about 4 years and the plants were added several months ago, with no problems that I see.

Time will tell, but I'm banking on the plants keeping the water pure. The plants grow extremely well too in the nutrient rich water.

Man, would I like to plant that 1,000 G!

B

I hope you gave a sturdy enough floor to to hold several tons (literal 2000 ibs tons) of fish tank stuff.

lol. Was actually FT2SS, "HN1" is a long story.

For the right type of setup, I don't disagree that it could work with minor maintenance. That is a lot easier to scope for a 55G than 1000G though. Even though infrequent-major maintenance would be more likely purely given dimensions. Drop a net in the water and you need to snorkel, etc. The array of stocking options for a tank that size could go the spectrum from almost self-sustaining to needing PWCs monthly or more. All depends on the stock and feeding. As Cynic pointed out, the cost for lighting would be prohibitive IMO to do a rapid plant growth system which is what you need if you are going for less maintenance. Even if the lights are included, the bulbs will need to be replaced. Personally, I'd be looking at FO with larger fish. I look forward to updates.

Back
Top Bottom