109% Stocked okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pickles12807

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 long with 2 Aquaclear 30 filters. I would say it is lightly to moderately planted....good amount of anacharis, 2 banana plants, 3 anubias, java fern, water wisteria, and a jungle val.

I recently added a platy because I heard they don't school, but after reading more I would really like to add 2 more platys to keep it company.

According to AqAdvisor adding the two additional platys would make my tank 109% stocked, although my filter capacity is still at 120%. I do regular weekly water changes of roughly 25%, but have no trouble increasing that if necessary.

My question is, would you recommend adding the 2 platys and having a slightly overstocked tank, or just sticking with the single platy?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424280195.865635.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think you should be alright. That's not as bad as others I've seen. Your bio load will be heavy but not uncontrollable. Up your water changes just a bit And as long as it appears that they all have adequate swimming space id say it's a go.

Is this a new stocking idea or an already stocked tank?

I love my fish!!!

The tank is already stocked, except for the platys, I currently just have 1. My parameters have been steady and everybody looks like they have plenty of space, so I feel like the 2 additional platys would be okay. I just want to get a few opinions first since I'm still a beginner in this hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm no expert, I've had 2 tanks running for almost two years now unlike others on this forum that have been in it 20 years.

But IMO you have plenty of filtration for the bio load and your current platy would appreciate some friends! And if they is space and wouldn't overcrowd I'd say go for it!

If water perams become unstable then rehome them but I think it will work nicely.

I love my fish!!!

Your Tank

Hello Pick...

A 20 G tank is pretty small. I wouldn't add more fish. A heavy fish load will require a 50 percent water change every few days. The mechanical filters, do next to nothing to keep the tank water free of dissolved wastes. You could have 10 such filters on this tank and the water would still be dirty. Water that constantly runs though a filter, soon becomes sterile and unable to support life.

Work up to the point you change half the water every 4 to 5 days and consider moving the inhabitants to a larger tank with more room and more water.

B

If the tank is cycled for that bioload, everything should be OK.

Aquaclear 30 is already enough for your 20g with that stocking IMO, having a second means double that filtration power...

If you added all thoses fishs recently, monitor ammonia/nitrites, and it should be Ok.

Also, if your light is not so powerfull, I would monitor phosphates and nitrates, versus the tap water, so you can do a stable schedule of water changes...

I guess with low lighting (1x T8 fluorescent), you should change 40%-50% of the water once per week, or you might see some algaes appear.

You've got plenty of filtration on the tank. As long as you keep up with the recommended water changes (or more), don't overfeed, and are not worried about things such as power outages, you should be just fine as far as the fish load goes.

Back
Top Bottom