10g aquarium on craigslist: to buy or not to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question?

10g aquarium with hood on craigslist. How much should I offer?? Assuming I should buy it ;)
They are asking for $25 including a cheap walmart filter, which I do not need.

I don't know what's reasonable to offer and what is not.
Thanks~

I would ask to see if he'll give it to you for $20. They always ask more to get what they really want out of it. That's the good thing about CL is that you can negotiate pricing.

Yes they said $20 was fine. I guess you can't get a 10g with a hood and light any lower than that ;)

That feels good doesnt it. Its always to barter down the prices especially on CL cause those are usually the people that want to just get rid of them.

gabysapha said:
Yes they said $20 was fine. I guess you can't get a 10g with a hood and light any lower than that ;)

I guess but a new tank is 10 plus a hood $10 which will equal $20 new at walmart

Ibrahim said:
I guess but a new tank is 10 plus a hood $10 which will equal $20 new at walmart

Oh ok that's what I wanted to know! Thanks.
Mmm, do I need a third nano filter? Ehh...
Do I need red gravel? Ehhh no...
Fake plants? Mmmm... No.

Perhaps I'll try to barter a little more!

I think the 10g's are a little more at my walmart, like around 12 or 13. I know petsmart usually has a 'goldfish starter kit' (ironic I know) for around $35, and it was on sale last week when I was there for $25.

When I buy used tanks I try to pay $.50/gal and maybe a few extra bucks for any accessories if they are worth using. That said I usually buy multiple tanks at a time so the end number isn't so tiny.

jetajockey said:
I think the 10g's are a little more at my walmart, like around 12 or 13. I know petsmart usually has a 'goldfish starter kit' (ironic I know)

God this always makes me laugh. My favorite goldfish starter kit is the 1.5 gallon plastic container with no room for a filter. The top is on a hinge. Has a picture of 3 goldfish in the tank.

What are you thinking of for stocking?

Dwohlge1 said:
God this always makes me laugh. My favorite goldfish starter kit is the 1.5 gallon plastic container with no room for a filter. The top is on a hinge. Has a picture of 3 goldfish in the tank.

What are you thinking of for stocking?

Honestly. I remember when I bought my first tank (10g!) seeing the images of the tank on the box. Full of mollies, or danios, or goldfish!

I don't know! I think I will use it to separate my platy fry from my Endler fry, just to make life easier.
The idea of keeping a breeding pair or trio of something in the tank sounds good, but I'm not sure what that would be, and I'm done ordering from my crappy LFS- it's always a disappointing experience. So the species would need to be locally available (Petsmart).

Or it could be a shrimp tank?

You can probably get a 30 gallon tank with accessories free on freecycle.org. That's what got me started in this hobby. ;)

TRust me, I would get a larger tank but I simply don't have space for anything bigger than 5-10g! I have a small apartment, what can I say.

Look into a sudo satellite breeder box, they are cool and space friendly.

Ohhh!!! Those are so interesting! Like a HOB, just with a fish in it! Thanks for the suggestion jeta, this would be very useful considering my space limitations.

Maybe Apartment Therapy has an article on fishkeeping in a nano living space...

On a random note, I was chatting with an awesome Petsmart employee today who told me a petstore in a town close to me was completely flooded. Needless to say they lost a lot of animals. Hopefully they won't rebuild in the same place...

jetajockey said:
Look into a sudo satellite breeder box, they are cool and space friendly.

Interesting wonder if you could get one and heavily plant it with plants that could take flooded roots to soak up nitrates? Or do a HOB sump?

Dwohlge1 said:
Interesting wonder if you could get one and heavily plant it with plants that could take flooded roots to soak up nitrates? Or do a HOB sump?

This idea excites me so much! I love the idea of a HOB sump!!! How should it be designed? I wonder where to get this breeder box besides ebay...

I have seen better deals new... I got my ten gallon, a good hood that let's me use awesome bulbs for plants, a good HOB filter (Tetra PF-10), some food, and an air pump NEW for 25$. the filter wasn't the best, but it was definitely sufficient for the tank.

theshrimplab has them also, but I don't know if their price is any better. You could put plants and stuff in there if you really wanted, but it probably wouldn't be as effective as a real undercabinet sump would be since space is very limited.

gabysapha said:
This idea excites me so much! I love the idea of a HOB sump!!! How should it be designed? I wonder where to get this breeder box besides ebay...

I am looking now and it only looks to be 1.2 liters. Probably not big enough to be effective.

But.... If you got a stand that could keep another 10 gallon underneath you could do a DIY sump if you want to spend the money. Then you would have a 20 gallon water capacity in a 10 gallon.

Only thing would be "is there enough swimming room for the fish you would be stocking". You would have to do some research I have never heard of a sump on that small of a tank.

Ehhh not willing to spend the money ;)
That is a very intriguing idea though. Thanks for helping me think through it! I hope i can experiment with sumps when I'm old and rich ;)

If anybody has any other space-saving tips I would absolutely love to hear them! Iron stands that can hold a large tank above and a smaller tank below are the most useful things I have found on craigslist. Especially since i can fit 2 5g tanks on the lowest shelf!
I will admit I don't like being limited to nano tanks. Ugh. My 5g scratched acrylic bowfront with a plastic blue hood is the biggest eyesore of the bunch.

Back
Top Bottom