10g Betta Tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a new male Halfmoon Betta today and have him in a cycled 10g by himself.
7.4, 0, 0, 10

What possible tankmates would be suitable? Neons?

What could possibly work in this tank?

There are lots of micro-rasboras and danios that you could look through or ember tetras. There are also dwarf anabantoids, like badis. You could also try shrimp and snails.

The main thing is your betta's personality. Every betta is different and you can't always predict how they will take new neighbors. Everyone of my bettas has different levels of comfort with neighbors.

Rearrange the tank before introduction and sit right there for like an hour with whichever tankmate you choose and always have a plan B for the new addition.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
There are lots of micro-rasboras and danios that you could look through or ember tetras. There are also dwarf anabantoids, like badis. You could also try shrimp and snails.

The main thing is your betta's personality. Every betta is different and you can't always predict how they will take new neighbors. Everyone of my bettas has different levels of comfort with neighbors.

Rearrange the tank before introduction and sit right there for like an hour with whichever tankmate you choose and always have a plan B for the new addition.

I'd rather not have shrimp.. I have those in another tank... And snails aren't so visually appealing...

I'll check out the other fish you mentioned tho...
How many of each would you recommend?
Say I got micro rasboras or ember tetras.. How many?
8 minimum in a school, right?

Austin.b said:
Chili Rasboras are awesome little fish! Im not sure if your betta will try to eat them though:/

Just looked at pics and they sure are colorful!
Color is exactly what I'd love to have in there (Betta willing)
How many would you suggest? If I try? If it doesn't work I can return them...

ocminpin said:
Just looked at pics and they sure are colorful!
Color is exactly what I'd love to have in there (Betta willing)
How many would you suggest? If I try? If it doesn't work I can return them...

They have a very small bioload, so I would say at least 7? I know of people who have about 14 of them in a 10G and are still able to maintain healthy parameters:) they are just like CPD's though. They have to get used to you. The first week or two they're super shy an scare easily. But in time, they will get to know you and usually greet you:D the males get extremely bright when showing off to females. The male that gets really bright, is the alpha male. Their colors are even more beautiful when fed a varied diet ex: BBS, Artemia, and crushed up flakes. They're super curious too! If I have my hand in the Tank, my school will swarm around me and circle my arm lol oh, and they liketo play in the current of the filter:D

Austin.b said:
They have a very small bioload, so I would say at least 7? I know of people who have about 14 of them in a 10G and are still able to maintain healthy parameters:) they are just like CPD's though. They have to get used to you. The first week or two they're super shy an scare easily. But in time, they will get to know you and usually greet you:D the males get extremely bright when showing off to females. The male that gets really bright, is the alpha male. Their colors are even more beautiful when fed a varied diet ex: BBS, Artemia, and crushed up flakes. They're super curious too! If I have my hand in the Tank, my school will swarm around me and circle my arm lol oh, and they liketo play in the current of the filter:D

Sounds great! I love friendly... My mollies & female betta will rub against my fingers and bicker over who gets to sit in my cupped hand.. :)
My Molly Babies do this within 2 wks..

Ill take a look tomorrow before Jitterbug gets TOO settled in his tank...
IF the store has the amount should I just go ahead and get 10-14? If store doesn't have that amount... I could go to two different stores to bring up that number.
Would Jitterbug be overwhelmed with that number suddenly? Or best to do it when he's been in the tank only a day?

ocminpin said:
Sounds great! I love friendly... My mollies & female betta will rub against my fingers and bicker over who gets to sit in my cupped hand.. :)
My Molly Babies do this within 2 wks..

Ill take a look tomorrow before Jitterbug gets TOO settled in his tank...
IF the store has the amount should I just go ahead and get 10-14? If store doesn't have that amount... I could go to two different stores to bring up that number.
Would Jitterbug be overwhelmed with that number suddenly? Or best to do it when he's been in the tank only a day?

Oh wow! Thats so amazing!!:)

I'm not too sure about 14, the people I mentioned earlier had no other fish in the tank. I think you could easily do 7. Then after, if your parameters are still good, i would say you can do about 2, maybe 3 more:)

IMHO I think its best to do it as soon as possible so Jitterbug can start to get used to them:)

Austin.b said:
Oh wow! Thats so amazing!!:)

I'm not too sure about 14, the people I mentioned earlier had no other fish in the tank. I think you could easily do 7. Then after, if your parameters are still good, i would say you can do about 2, maybe 3 more:)

IMHO I think its best to do it as soon as possible so Jitterbug can start to get used to them:)

I'll try with 7. I'll get them in the morning... Lets hope store has em in stock. I have many stores to choose from, including local fish stores, so we'll see...

Well, it's morning and I've decided to wait a while and get more funds together before jumping into a whole new group of fish just yet.
I will be looking into those fish though when the time comes. At least I know what I want now. :)

I have 3 Ghost Shrimp in another tank. If I were to move them in with the betta, what would I feed them? Betta is fed and it is eaten instantly.. Nothing falls to gravel.
Just a thought was all...

I feed mine sinking wafers, the small ones. 2 or 3 every other day should do it. It may seem to much, but the betta will likely eat some, too. Mine does, at least.

nibor said:
I feed mine sinking wafers, the small ones. one or two every other day should do it. It may seem to much, but the betta will likely eat some, too. Mine does, at least.

I have wafers :) will that make the gravel all messy? I know these guys eat constantly...

I have chilli rasboras in with my betta and he doesn't gve them a second look, he is rather docile though from what I've seen so far

Edit: I have 12 of them in what I think is a 15 us gal tank I'd have to check my other threads to remember right lol.
I have lots of liminosessiflora (probably spelt wrong) and they love trying amongst the leaves, they are used to me and te cats now and do come forward in the tank in the evenings

I have wafers :) will that make the gravel all messy? I know these guys eat constantly...

Mine don't seem to last long enough to make a mess. The mollies fight the shrimp for them. I chunk a bunch of the extra small ones in every few days and I guess my bottom feeders are eating between those and the regular food because they are still alive and kicking. ;)

BTW, I have a betta in a community tank with mollies, platys, neons, etc and he's fine. My main suggestion is to avoid fin nippers, like guppies or other fish with 'showy' fins. I have never had a problem with a betta in a community tank.

you can also feed sinking shrimp pellets to them. My ghost shrimp used to grab it and scurry around the tank while the others chased him lol :) Oh and you can also feed blanched veges to them, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom