10g brackish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking to do a 10g brackish with puffers and a knight goby if I can find one and if there's room for him. If there's no room I'll probably do bumblebee gobys. Any stocking ideas? Id like to at least do puffers

Keep calm and drum on

What type of puffer? Some grow massive and some are tiny.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Probably a figure eight puffer. They stay small don't they? Or is there a dwarf puffer? I know my lfs has some that are about an inch or so

Keep calm and drum on

What about green spotted puffers? Could I do 2 or 3 of them in a 20 long or do they get big as well? Or do 1 with a couple knight goby?

Keep calm and drum on

What about green spotted puffers? Could I do 2 or 3 of them in a 20 long or do they get big as well? Or do 1 with a couple knight goby?

Keep calm and drum on

I think knight gobies should be housed one per tank I believe, they get aggressive with same species. And green spotted puffers can get upto 5 inches more common is 3. And can get aggressive as they age to tank mates.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So a few Dwarfs and a Knight goby seem to be what you're looking at?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Puffers are very entertaining fish. Since you are looking at a smaller tank your options are limited to dwarf puffers and figure 8's. But they are both great fish to keep. I would do a 20 long it is the same footprint as a 30 just not as tall. I had good luck with F8's and bumble bee gobies in a 20 long.

I would do research on brackish water and know what you are getting into. In such a small tank you are looking at weekly water changes with salt (which cost $).

Your original idea of 10 gallons would be an ideal size for dwarf puffers and they are fresh water.

Puffers are very entertaining fish. Since you are looking at a smaller tank your options are limited to dwarf puffers and figure 8's. But they are both great fish to keep. I would do a 20 long it is the same footprint as a 30 just not as tall. I had good luck with F8's and bumble bee gobies in a 20 long.

I would do research on brackish water and know what you are getting into. In such a small tank you are looking at weekly water changes with salt (which cost $).

Your original idea of 10 gallons would be an ideal size for dwarf puffers and they are fresh water.

I already have info on brackish. I run a 55g brackish with glass fish and bumblebees
The main interest I have with puffers is its a fish I've never attempted to care for and are very interesting to me. I may go with the dwarf puffer as its a smaller fish and being freshwater it's probably better to start with.

Keep calm and drum on

I personally recommend dwarf puffers as the best beginner puffer anyway, and experience with these will definitely help if you plan to keep the larger more sensitive puffers in the future.
In a 10 gallon, I'd recommend planting it heavily, and keeping 3 of them. The rule says 1 to every 5 gallons, but odd numbers are best to prevent bullying. Plants will break up their line of sight, and provide plenty for them to explore.

Back
Top Bottom