10g doing better than 36g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
absolutangel04 said:
Oh my goodness, I don't know why I keep reading things wrong tonight! I read nitrite and nitrate in your other post.
Anyways, .25 ammo isn't a big deal. Don't worry about it. Sorry, I also thought you said the 36g had only been running for a month. I have no idea why I can't read tonight!
Ok. So, you have had the 36g set up for a year. Since it has ammo and the 10g doesn't I am guessing there was an ammo spike when you lost the other filter that used ot be in it.
So, how many fish have died? Is it just the 2 fish that have died in the 36g? How old were they? Yeah, the cloudiness is likely from the sand IMO.
Prime temporarily neutralizes the ammo in a way that is not harmful to the fish, but still allows the BB to be able to use the ammo. :)

Haha It's no biggie, I've lost two fish. One glow light tetra and one neon tetra in the the 36, in my 10, I have one betta, 3 xray tetra and some other pink fat tetra and they're all fine!:eek: oh and a red minor tetra has died in my 36.

Interesting. I am wondering if your tank needed some time to stabilize after its second filter has taken away. 2 fish deaths isn't bad, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
Do you want to fill out the schools? Sometimes schooling fish don't do well without a school.

absolutangel04 said:
Interesting. I am wondering if your tank needed some time to stabilize after its second filter has taken away. 2 fish deaths isn't bad, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
Do you want to fill out the schools? Sometimes schooling fish don't do well without a school.

I don't know but I've been without the second filter at least a month. I've ordered a 50 aquaclear filter to help, I think one 30 filter isn't enough. And yeah, the schooling fish were all fine, but then they've been dying slowly one by one. I've had two red minor tetra for a year but lost one yesterday.

Doing a water change now:) what does prime actually do? I always thought it was water conditioner.

Prime neutralizes the ammonia so it is not as harmful to fish, but still remains available to the bacteria.

absolutangel04 said:
How often do you do pwc? When was the last pwc before you took that test kit reading.

I did a 25% water change...Friday. That was the last time.

Ok. Have you ever tried ot test the tap water to see if it has any ammo in it? I am guessing the ammo is because the tank was getting used to the bioload with only one filter running though since your other tank doesn't have any issues.
Hopefully the issues resolve once your new filter gets here. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Ok. Have you ever tried ot test the tap water to see if it has any ammo in it? I am guessing the ammo is because the tank was getting used to the bioload with only one filter running though since your other tank doesn't have any issues.
Hopefully the issues resolve once your new filter gets here. :)

Never tried to test it at all, I'm thinking you're also right. Everything was good while the two filters were running. And when the aqueon messed up, I guess it went poop from there. Ordered the filter yesterday and hopefully it'll get here quick!

Update: I'm guessing I'm going through a bacterial bloom?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120131_111507.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120131_111507.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 40
I'm having the same issue with a bacterial/alge bloom a huge water change helps but then the cloud come back :(

maestromad said:
I'm having the same issue with a bacterial/alge bloom a huge water change helps but then the cloud come back :(

I did that Sunday and it seem to have made that worse.

Update:My aquaclear 50 came in today!:D I set it up and hopefully it'll help clear things up faster. There's a big difference between my aquaclear 30 and 50 haha

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120202_164150.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120202_164150.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 40
  • ForumRunner_20120202_164208.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120202_164208.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom