10g doing better than 36g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay so to make a long story short, my 10g which I hardly do any maintenance on is doing better than my 36g. Plants are growing better and I had no fish die in my 10g, also the water in my 10g is much clearer than in my 36g, can anyone help?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120129_142227.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120129_142227.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 91
  • ForumRunner_20120129_142257.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120129_142257.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 95
Fishie said:
Parameters ? Are the lights good?

I'll do parameters in a bit. What do you mean if the lights are good? For my 10g I'm using the hood and lights from my 36g and for my 36g im using a t5ho nova extreme fixture.

fishdud said:
I'll do parameters in a bit. What do you mean if the lights are good? For my 10g I'm using the hood and lights from my 36g and for my 36g im using a t5ho nova extreme fixture.

Oh that answers my second question! Tell me how parameters turn out!

Fishie said:
Oh that answers my second question! Tell me how parameters turn out!

May I add while I do the parameters that my water started acting up after my 2nd filter broke out. I used an aqueon on my 36g. Doing parameters now. Also about a week ago I added black tms.

Parameters for 36g:

Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate looks to be either 5.0 or 10 ppm

Onto the 10g.

Here's a pic for the parameter to the 36g to help.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120129_152622.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120129_152622.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 85
Okay, here the 10g parameters,
Ph 7.2
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate..wow i must've done somethin wrong, nitrate is 80 ppm.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120129_160559.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120129_160559.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 69
Lack of maintenance on the 10 gal would explain the high nitrates;) Maybe the tank is not doing as well as you thought:nono:

foster53 said:
Lack of maintenance on the 10 gal would explain the high nitrates;) Maybe the tank is not doing as well as you thought:nono:

Haha you said it! But the fish are more than fine tho o_O and It's hard to do water change on it cause It's on the ground...the gravel vacuum won't pick up the debris and junk.

What kinds of filters do you have in each tank and what is the stock? How long have they both been set-up?
I agree with foster that your admitted lack of maintenance if likely responsible for the high nitrates.
I have a harder time vacuuming my 10g than my other tanks too.

Everyone has failed to pick up on the 36g tests, which with 0.25 ammonia and 10-20 nitrite look like your going through a cycle. Ammonia would be the cause of the problem in the 36g, along with the high nitrite in both tanks.

Everyone has failed to pick up on the 36g tests, which with 0.25 ammonia and 10-20 nitrite look like your going through a cycle. Ammonia would be the cause of the problem in the 36g, along with the high nitrite in both tanks.

Nitrite in 36 is 0. The high nitrAte is in the 10 gallon. A nitrate reading, and the lack of a nitrite reading in the 36 does not indicate going through a cycle. Possibly a mini cycle since he indicated filter malfunction.

You're right. I didn't even see that post. The cloudiness in the 36g is also probably from it being new.

Sorry guys for the late reply. To catch up on everything, my 36g has one aquaclear 30 filter running, it was running with another aqueon but it messed up. I've been running one filter on the 36g for one month at least. The cloudiness could be from the sand which i added like 5 days ago. My 10g is running one 10 internal tetra filter. I've lost two fish in the 36g the past week but none in the 10g. If you need more info just let me know.

Ok. Thanks for the update. Yeah, it does seem, that your 36g is still cycling. So, that could account for some of your problems.

absolutangel04 said:
Ok. Thanks for the update. Yeah, it does seem, that your 36g is still cycling. So, that could account for some of your problems.

Thanks. Also my 36 has been up for more than a year and my 10 for like....6 months I think. Haven't lost any fish in the 10 even tho with high nitrate.

With a low ammonia reading, no nitrite reading, and an acceptable nitrate reading,I think it's a temporary ammonia spike from the filter malfunction. as previously stated the ammonia could be part of the problem in your tank. That being said, I have never had .25 ammonia cause to many problems. A few extra WC's, and a little extra Prime could help a bunch(y)

foster53 said:
With a low ammonia reading, no nitrite reading, and an acceptable nitrate reading,I think it's a temporary ammonia spike from the filter malfunction. as previously stated the ammonia could be part of the problem in your tank. That being said, I have never had .25 ammonia cause to many problems. A few extra WC's, and a little extra Prime could help a bunch(y)

Doing a water change now:) what does prime actually do? I always thought it was water conditioner.

Oh my goodness, I don't know why I keep reading things wrong tonight! I read nitrite and nitrate in your other post.
Anyways, .25 ammo isn't a big deal. Don't worry about it. Sorry, I also thought you said the 36g had only been running for a month. I have no idea why I can't read tonight!
Ok. So, you have had the 36g set up for a year. Since it has ammo and the 10g doesn't I am guessing there was an ammo spike when you lost the other filter that used ot be in it.
So, how many fish have died? Is it just the 2 fish that have died in the 36g? How old were they? Yeah, the cloudiness is likely from the sand IMO.
Prime temporarily neutralizes the ammo in a way that is not harmful to the fish, but still allows the BB to be able to use the ammo. :)

Back
Top Bottom