10g fully cycled tank, is 1 betta fish enough to keep bacteria healthy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
We finally put our betta fish into his 10g tank today! It's fully cycled and he is loving being in there again after almost 2 months! It only took 20 days to cycle, woohoo! We did the 4ppm to 0amm 0nitrites 3 times, so, yeah! Did a 90% water change today, nitrates went from between 80-160, and they were at 10 when we plunked him back in.

We aren't going to add any other fish for another week or two, so in the meantime, do you think that he will produce enough ammonia by himself to keep the beneficial bacteria going? If not, is there anything we can do other than adding ammonia to the tank? (which I wouldn't do except maybe a couple drops but I hesitate to even do that).

Ah nuts. Any ideas on how to keep it going? I could put in a little ground up fish flakes when he's not paying attention or maybe a few drops of ammonia? I just don't want to hurt him. Right now our bio filter is really strong. We are going to get pygmy cory catfish soon, in a week or two, but until then, I want to keep it going.

Ah nuts. Any ideas on how to keep it going? I could put in a little ground up fish flakes when he's not paying attention or maybe a few drops of ammonia? I just don't want to hurt him. Right now our bio filter is really strong. We are going to get pygmy cory catfish soon, in a week or two, but until then, I want to keep it going.

Its no biggie if some dies off. The bacteria that is left will be enough to keep the betta healthy. Bacteria multiplies quickly, so once you add more fish, the bacteria will multiply to the appropriate amount within a few hours. Therefore, you have nothing to worry about.(y)

Its no biggie if some dies off. The bacteria that is left will be enough to keep the betta healthy. Bacteria multiplies quickly, so once you add more fish, the bacteria will multiply to the appropriate amount within a few hours. Therefore, you have nothing to worry about.(y)

Thank you! :) That makes me feel better.

So long as you don't drastically change the bioload (and I'm talking about adding 4 mollies, 8 neons, 4 bloodfins, a pleco, and 3 oto cats type of change here) the biofilter won't need another thought.

Thanks :) I just hope too much bb doesn't die before we get the catfish, but I am confident it should be fine :)

If they do, they'll probably be back before the ammonia spike even becomes noticeable.

I also hear the bacteria can last a week without any ammonia.

After 8 days in the cycled tank, everything is still perfect! We're going to change a few gallons anyway though since it's been 8 days.

Catfish are still in quarantine. Hopefully we can add them at the end of next week :)

Back
Top Bottom