10g kit at walmart.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FirstTime

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are the 10 gallon kits at walmart any good? They have a 10g kit for 29.99 with led lighting.

While the filter is lousy, the led hood it comes with is 18 dollars by itself, so I can't see buy separate stuff.

I love the 10 gallon kits. Usually though, they're more like $16. You can buy a 10 gallon kit at Petco (or Petsmart, can never remember which) for that price.
My first aquarium was a 10 gallon from Walmart. The lights and hood worked great and the filter wasn't bad for the price I paid. It held up well with my fish until I could upgrade. :)

It doesn't sound like a bad deal, but I'd go 20 gallon if you can. You'll have a few more options on fish, and the larger system will be slightly more stable. The more gallons, the more time it takes for something to go horribly wrong. Small tanks go downhill faster than a larger tank.

Sure. Why not? I used one as a modified saltwater nano for 3 years before i took it down.

Ya your right, the 20 gallon sounds like a better deal.

What kind and how many fish can I put in a 20 gallon along with a betta?

So far I like the look of mixed fruit tetras.

We just bought it... I'm new, but I think it's decent! The filter is totally quiet. The led lights are pretty and bright too. I have pics up in my only other post.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bettas don't do well with that many other fish. Male bettas don't do well with ANY other fish, period. If you get a female betta, sometimes they do all right with cories, large shrimp and large snails. Or, you can do an all female betta sorority. They take some work to set up right, but in a 10 or 20 gallon, you could have a really beautiful tank as long as you follow all the necessary precautions to prevent aggression. :)

Its funny that I saw this post, I just upgraded FROM my 10 gal kit from Walmart! I think that the 10 gal kit is wonderful idea if you are a beginner and want a bigger tank. Just a warning, 10 gallons is still a pretty small tank and stocking ideas are still quite limited. If you just want a few little fish, its a great idea! If you are really wanting to get into the hobby, I would suggest getting a 20+ tank. Would this be your first tank? If so, I would go with the 10, for now, and see how you like it. Just make sure to do research on the fish for a 10 gal. I didnt do any research and ended up with a tinfoil barb (needs at least 40 gal) and a goldfish (needs at least a 29 gal). Luckily I just got a 40 gallon on Craigslist :D Please keep us informed on what you decide to get! Good luck!

Well in a 20g I want one betta, and a dozen neon tetras, what else would work good?

That's about it. If you lower the number of neons to 6 or 7 you could probably do a small group of otto's or Pygmy cories.

If you get neons with the betta (all my friends who have tried this have ended up with bloodbaths on their hands :(, but I have no personal experience), please make sure your betta is female. A male betta will destroy anything that looks even remotely like competition.

Bettas don't do well with that many other fish. Male bettas don't do well with ANY other fish, period. If you get a female betta, sometimes they do all right with cories, large shrimp and large snails. Or, you can do an all female betta sorority. They take some work to set up right, but in a 10 or 20 gallon, you could have a really beautiful tank as long as you follow all the necessary precautions to prevent aggression. :)

Male betta usually do well with other fish with non flowing fins

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last three male bettas I saw with non-flowy finned fish killed them. :( Maybe there are exceptions to the rule. There could very well be. I just haven't see it. I can see why you would say that though. You'd think at least a cory would be safe with them, like a cory is safe with the females. All my betta experience is from what I've seen in other people's fish. I've never had one of my own, so definitely take the advice of someone who has actually had the fish, FirstTime. :)

My male is perfectly fine with neon tetra in a 10gal

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom