10g--Shrimp compatible fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaylNeko

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi folks. Trying to decide on stock for my 10g. Was thinking nano fish for a while (pygmy cories and ember tetras) but I'm wondering if there's a decent sized (well, decent sized for a 10g) fish that is compatible with the shrimp and snails in there that isn't a gourami lol. I've had gouramis, they're lovely fish, but wanting something different. Betta and dwarf puffer are out due to the shrimp, as are shell dwellers, as far as I can tell.

Looked at the badis, but they're a bit finicky for me for this tank, and don't really want an ADF. I've seen mixed reviews on keeping Bolivian rams or apisto trifasciata in a 10g--anyone have any experience with them? It's heavily planted, sand substrate, driftwood.

We have enough tanks in the house I'm trying to do something a bit different with them each, so leaning towards the ram if that'll work out but would prefer getting some opinions on the wisdom of that before I do it.

Chili rasboras (or any micro rasbora), CPDs, dwarf emerald rasboras, clown killies, and ember tetras would all likely work. As with any fish beyond otos you'll likely see adult fish go after shrimplets but the adult shrimp should be fine and should be able to maintain a large colony.

Personally I'd stick to these smaller fish. The only larger type fish is I'd do is maybe a honey gourami, as I'd prefer to give Rams or apistos a bit more space. I know people use ten gallon tanks as breeding tanks for apistos and such but they're ideally not the best long term homes for them.

Last edited:
Okay. Looks like the nano fish idea was best after all. Thinking pygmy cories already, maybe embers or chili rasboras as well.

Thanks!

There are a few other really nice small fish. Danio tinwini, if you can find it, is a lovely little thing. Aka Gold Ring danio. Smaller than a CPD, very pretty, also a mid level swimmer and feeder. Not very similar to most other danios, not a boisterous swimmer. Like micro worms, which are really easy to culture, and take dry foods, but make sure you give them something that won't sink straight to the bottom. Hikari makes a nice micro pellet that sinks quite slowly, ideal for mid level feeding, especially of small fish.

Strawberry rasbora is another charming little fish, not as shy as Chilis can be. Quite tiny, schools tightly most of the time. Boys are easy to tell from girls, unusual in most of these species.. boys have a much bigger black blotch on their sides than females do. Eagerly take live food. microworm and blackworms.. they're fierce little things when they scent a worm, otherwise very peaceful. I keep them with shrimp of several species, pygmy cory and dwarf chain loaches.

The dwarf chain loach is a nice small fish too. One of the smallest loaches, just barely two inches long. They stick together like glue, very active and entertaining, really appreciate live foods if you can provide, or frozen ones. A bit more expensive, but a lot of fun to keep.

If you can find some, the Habrosus cory is even nicer than the Pygmy cory. Same size, has spots on the sides, and they swim all over the tank, up, down, everywhere, quite a bit more than Pygmies do. Very entertaining little fishes. Also very happy to be fed worms and frozen foods, though they'll eat most things. I get a kick watching them pull the worms from the substrate where they try to hide. Like kids slurping up noodles.

The only thing I can think of outside of the suggestions above would be any of the dwarf rainbow species (Threadfins, Furcata, Celebes, etc). They have teeny tiny mouths and shouldn't be a threat to your shrimp. I prefer to give them 20g of space personally so you have room for a decent school (8+), but several folks have had good success with smaller numbers (5-6) of them in 10g tanks too.

Edit: The previous poster's suggestions are good too, outside of the Dwarf Chain Loaches. They're super active little buggers that do best in a larger tank to wear themselves out, plus they do tend to pester shrimp. I have 11 of them in my 75g and they're more than happy to make a live meal out of any Ghost Shrimp I try to add.

My dwarf chain loaches don't bother my shrimp at all.. but there may be reasons for that. For one, I feed them a lot of live food, and for another, the tank is very densely planted. The loaches don't spend much time at all anywhere other than the bottom, or chasing each other up and down the corners. Most of the shrimp are all over the plants and thus, pretty much escape attention. The loaches are very active, no question about that. It will be nice when I can finally put my big tank back up and give the loaches more space, but they do not show any signs of stress in the 10G.

Another fish I forgot to mention, in fact the only fish that's supposed to be 100% safe with shrimp. Otos, that is, Otocinclus. They do need algae to eat though.. if they don't have it, they don't alway do so well. A lot of them won't eat man made food, though some do learn to eat it. Small, active, excellent at keeping glass & any algae cleaned up too. Not very colourful though. Charming little guys, though, I'm very fond of them.

Ooh...new options. I like the look of the strawberry rasbora. Prettier than the embers. Like the look of the threadfins, but with a 20g being preferred, I think I'll put them on my fish bucket list (It keeps getting longer).

I actually looked at the 3 different dwarf cories to determine which species I wanted. There was a reason I picked the pygmy over the habrosus, but I can't remember what it was off the top of my head. It was a good reason at the time... We'll see what my LFS gets in.

I was seriously considering the dwarf chain loaches, actually. Assuming one of the LFS in the area can get them. You think they'd be okay with the shrimp and little snails and not mess with the Inca snails too badly? I'm wanting to set up a 20L at a later date as well, and was kind of going back and forth between the kuhli and the dwarf chain for that one.

I thought about oto's as well and dismissed them because of the size of the tank. You think they'd do all right? The tank isn't new by any stretch, just getting a restock since the Guppy's that replaced the betta got moved to the girl child's tank. It is fairly heavily planted (and I keep finding plants to add, even though I'm running out of ground space >.> ). You think a 10g can support enough algae/bio film/aufwach growth for 3 Otos to supplement with algae discs, fresh, and frozen?

I'm already thinking of getting a trio for the 46 gallon since no one has access to pit bull plecs around here, assuming they will get on with the SAE's. Wouldn't take much to double that when I get them.

I've kept endlers live bearers with red cherry shrimp in ten gallons successfully for a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I love our c. pygmaeus catfish, SO CUTE. :D

Good luck with your tank! We were considering maybe adding some shrimp as well at some point.

Our catfish are labeled c. habrosus at the store, but they are pygmaeus. I wish they were habrosus, from what you said and other things I have read, they swim around a lot more. But I like the pygmys too... :)

Back
Top Bottom