10g shrimp tank and possible tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexeir7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking for advice on shrimps, how to prepare my tank, food, hardy species for my ph 8.2 -8.4, and if I can have some tank mates ( mostly invertebrates like snails )

Last edited by a moderator:
That pH is high for most shrimp. Cardinal Shrimp are an exception, but they are very expensive and better to look into after you get some experience with keeping them.
Cardinal Shrimp - (6) - Elite Inverts Store

It seems best you would look for local hobbyists with breeding colonies and see if they are breeding them in your local water.

Otherwise you would need to use RODI water and dilute the hardness of your water, or use RODI water and remineralize with a product made for that like Salty Shrimp.

Snails LOVE hard water so you could have some Ramshorn snails. A Mystery Snail would be a possibility. But if a Mystery snail dies in your tank, the amount of ammonia created by the death can kill a smaller tank of shrimp.

Getting a tank set up and running for a couple months and getting it cycled will be a big advantage in starting to grow the microscopic food and biofilm for the little shrimp.

Read through some of the threads about the members shrimp tanks for extra info too!

EDIT: also remember to use a prefilter on the intake of the filter!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom