10g Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeanerOH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10g tank with 3 black widow tetras in it currently. I know that the tetras want to be in groups of 5-6 (a fact left out by the LFS), but I also wanted to get a fully stocked tank of bottom, middle, and top swimmers.

Any suggestions? Pygmy Corys?

I'm open right now.

Thanks,

Eric

Do you think those are a LFS kind of fish? I just began and my locations are limited.

You need to get a bigger tank or rehome your black skirts. They get big and are AGGRESSIVE. In my old tank one destroyed an angel.

On most sites I am seeing 2-2.5 inches max size. This is considered big? I've also read that they are only aggressive if kept in smaller groups (hence wanting the extra 2-3). I'm getting mixed information from people on this.

Rather frustrating. (Sorry not taking it out on anyone in particular)

On most sites I am seeing 2-2.5 inches max size. This is considered big? I've also read that they are only aggressive if kept in smaller groups (hence wanting the extra 2-3). I'm getting mixed information from people on this.

Rather frustrating. (Sorry not taking it out on anyone in particular)
For a ten gal, they are big. Also, I had ten of them. Super active, nasty little buggers.

Keep the suggestions coming... especially if the black skirts aren't going to work out in the long run then I will have plenty of room :)

Some schooling fish you may like, and I recommend reading about each, are:
Celestial Pearl Danios aka Galaxy Rasbora
Ember Tetra
Mosquito Rasbora
Pseudomugil Signifer
Corydoras Habrosus
Corydoras Hastatus
Corydoras Pygmaeus

You would probably have to order some of those rather than find them at an LFS. But for me, it would be worth it for the increase in school size and motion. :)

PS Two Turtles in Akron has many of these.

Sounds good. I'll do some research. I know that I only have a 10g, but I want to have a nice tank with fish on all levels of the tank. I found a fish-specific custom aquarium store in town and I am going to go check them out. They are more of a family owned type store with 30 years of experience and they have 30+ species in house and can order in for you too. I'm going to check them out next week and see how right they are for me.

Thanks for the suggestions! :thanks:

Sounds good. I'll do some research. I know that I only have a 10g, but I want to have a nice tank with fish on all levels of the tank. I found a fish-specific custom aquarium store in town and I am going to go check them out. They are more of a family owned type store with 30 years of experience and they have 30+ species in house and can order in for you too. I'm going to check them out next week and see how right they are for me.

Thanks for the suggestions! :thanks:

You're welcome! I feel the same way! I have the corydoras habrosus myself and love them.

I have 5 emerald rasboras and a young female betta in my ten. I checked aqadvisor and will be putting 3 fire-eyed loaches and 10 red cherry shrimp in the tank as well. I will have room for more shrimp too but am keeping it at 10. Seriously like the emeralds, always in the top layer, betta all over the place, the new additions in the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom