10g stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After reading some comments in another thread, I've decided not to put cardinal tetras in my 10g. Instead, I'm probably going to add dwarf pencilfish and sparkling gouramis. My other inhabitants would be amano shrimp and RCS.

What low light plant options would I have? Right now, I have a large clump of java moss on top of my driftwood, and a couple of small crypt plants. From what I'm reading, both dwarf pencilfish and sparkling gouramis are shy fish, which means I should find some more plants to add to my tank. One thought I had was some type of <fillintheblank>wort floating on the surface.

In my 20g high, I have three ottos and a nerite snail. I'm debating moving my snail to my 10g tank since I don't really need that many algae-eaters in my 20g (and it might not even be a good idea to have that many). I know that amano shrimp eat both algae and also scavenge a bit, so I am assuming that I'll probably have enough algae to go around with the shrimp and snail, correct?

At one point, when I was going to just have shrimp and cardinal tetras, it was suggested that I may not have to add them in batches since there wouldn't be much of a bio-load on my filter. However, now that I'm adding two different types of fish, should I rethink this and add them in two groups?

My current stocking plan is:
10-ish RCS
3 amano shrimp
6 dwarf pencilfish
3-ish sparkling gourami
nerite snail (re-homed from 20g)

My tank did just finish cycling. Last checked was 0 ppm ammonia/nitrItes and 30 ppm nitrAtes. I'll be doing a PWC to get the nitrAtes down further before adding any fish or inverts to the tank.

Jave ferns, anubias a plant called wisteria will grow in any light.
Yes move the snail but wait for some algea growth to occur
I dont really understand your last question
should I rethink this and add them in two groups?
So im going to say th stocking list you have is perfect for a 10 gal :D

I would personally have no qualms with keeping a small school of cardinals in a 10 gal 20" long tank. I don't know that I would go smaller than that, and knowing that cardinals can be sensitive to nitrates, I would do very regular maintenance... but I think they would be fine, if that is what you want.

Don't take my word for it (even though I have kept them before). Pretty much every source out there lists 10gal as a minimum tank size. Check out Marconi's Tank. It is a 10gal, and he is keeping cardinals. It looks wonderful.

I would personally have no qualms with keeping a small school of cardinals in a 10 gal 20" long tank. I don't know that I would go smaller than that, and knowing that cardinals can be sensitive to nitrates, I would do very regular maintenance... but I think they would be fine, if that is what you want.

Don't take my word for it (even though I have kept them before). Pretty much every source out there lists 10gal as a minimum tank size. Check out Marconi's Tank. It is a 10gal, and he is keeping cardinals. It looks wonderful.

+1

Have to agree with fort. I've kept cardinals in 10gal tanks for years and never had issues. Of course I could be lucky, but that's just from my experience.

Edit: Marconis tank is absolutely beautiful. I love it.

It seems to be very debatable whether cardinals should be in 10g or bigger

i have no doubt that they would survive in a 10g tank. but like someone's signature on here says "surviving is not necessarily thriving"

i personally think mine would be unhappy in a 10g tank, but who am i to speak for my fish?

personally, i think the more room the better. it's one of those things that you are just going to have to decide for yourself.

cardinals are definitely one of my favorite types of fish out there, they are gorgeous and look amazing in a planted tank.

so go for it if they are what you really want. there's nothing like having a picture in your mind of what you want your tank to look like, then seeing that come to life. i wouldn't want you to be disappointed.

I would say the fish in Marconi's tank have the potential to thrive. It does not look cramped at all to me. But I suppose it is all subjective isn't it?

I think if your going to be keeping them with other fish then it will get a bit squashy. Bit i think that the stocking list is really good one for a 10 gal. One that i would have loved to have thought of.
But hey we cant speak to fish :)

Your tank should be able to support the shrimp and the snail.

I would split them into groups if you can. Sometimes with an online order or an order with your lfs you aren't able to do that. In that case just keep a good eye on the water parameters.

I didn't have my heart set on cardinal tetras; it was what I settled on before when thinking about what I was going to put in my 10g. I like them better than neons, and thought they'd look decent with RCS.

However, I can see why it might not be the best environment for them, since they can be moderately active. Sparkling gourami and dwarf pencilfish aren't quite as active, and I think they'd be a fun fish to have in their own right, so going that route works for me. :)

I seem to have not worded one of my questions well, so I'll try again. Can I stock my tank all at once with the sparkling gouramis and dwarf pencilfish, or should I introduce them to my tank in two groups? So, I would either be purchasing and adding all 9-ish fish at once, or breaking it up into two groups of fish spread out over a week or two. With my initial stocking plan, since I was only going to have around 6-8 cardinal tetras, it was suggested that I could put them all in with the RCS and amanos at once because of the lower-than-normal bio-load. With my change in plans, that may not be the case.

If it is possible to stock slowly (i.e. you are buying from a local source), then I would add them in 2 separate groups... if not, and you are ordering them, then I think adding them all at once would be fine so long as you keep an eye on the water parameters pretty closely.

As for the plants, if it is a low light tank, remember that floating plants will block some of the light getting to your submerged plants, but your idea could work just fine so long as the light isn't too blocked. Other options that work well in a low light tank: lace and regular java fern, anubias (nana, nana petite are both great choices for a 10gal).

Well, I visited the two LFS I frequent the most, and found 1 sparkling gourami and 0 dwarf pencilfish. :roll:

Looks like I'll have to check some of the other LFS to see if I can find any more.

At least I was able to get amano shrimp and RCS. ;)

Hmmm, no one around here has either sparkling gourami or dwarf pencilfish.

I already have and will pursue more sparkling gourami, but may try another fish companion instead of the dwarf pencilfish.

What about harlequin rasboras or glowlight tetras? Or is there another small fish that's worth looking into?

I already have and will pursue more sparkling gourami, but may try another fish companion instead of the dwarf pencilfish.

What about harlequin rasboras or glowlight tetras? Or is there another small fish that's worth looking into?

Those two fish are some of my favorites for a smaller tank. I think that either of them them would do quite well.

boraras brigatte (mosquito rasboras). keep them in a group of at least 8, though as they are quite skittish. also provide plenty of plant coverage as they arent too sure about the bright light.

i have 3 in my 3 gallon (it was a mistake by the lfs) and they are indeed thriving. they are so tiny! less than inch full grown! i love them, but they might be hard to find. well worth looking into.

Dan:)

i'm sure this is another debatable one, but i would not do glowlight tetras. mine are bigger than my cardinal tetras, and much more active. that said, i'm pretty sure there are some who keep them in 10g's, but if you can find a smaller fish that you like, go with that instead.

ember tetras would be a great option--less than an inch (inch tops) fully grown. they're gorgeous, too.

Don't feel bad..I couldn't find any of these things locally :( I have to order most things.

I agree, I have 7 glowlight tetras in my 20 high and wouldn't put them in anything smaller. I also think that ember tetras are a great option for 10 gals. Harlequin rasboras would also be OK..a micro rasbora would be even better though. Any chance you can get ahold of dario dario aka scarlet badis? They are, just maybe, the coolest looking fish you can put in a 10 gal IMO.

I ended up adding 6 narrow wedge harlequin rasboras (the smaller of the two harlequins). I'll look to add more sparkling gouramis whenever I see them.

I wonder if H1N or Severum Mama sell any of them?

That's possible, I know they have other small fish..PM one of 'em.

Back
Top Bottom