10g Tank Troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 10g has been up and running for about a year and within the last week it's been having problems. It is really cloudy and I'm having two algae problems, brown algae and green spot algae. One means not enough light and the other means too much or just enough light. I tested my water and everything is 0 excep ammonia :confused: which is between .25 and .75 ppm. Why is there ammonia? I cycled the tank last year. Also how can I stop the algae? Please help. The fish all seem to not mind but I don't want them to go through this. I did a water change today if tht helps.

Pics

Green spot algae:
3871841454_2889f9b448.jpg

Here is looking from the front to the back, where behind the tank is some aquarium salt I wiped away some of the algae:
3871841520_403b03f01b.jpg

The smeary stuff on the bottom:
3871057199_f203127a5b.jpg

if you add fish or your filter goes out or something can give ammonia spikes. iw ould worry about the ammonia before anything. do some water changes get it stable.

something has to happen.... over feed fish died something....

50-75% water change right away.... maybe you have ammonia in your water now? maybe false positive.

I did a water change. I know something must have happened but I have all my fish and I haven't overfed them. Ever since I saw the cloudy water I've been feeding them less. Maybe it was because I had a fast rise in the snail population. I'll recheck ammonia levels tomorrow. How often should I do a pwc?

depends on if the ammonia keeps showing up or not. test and water change accordingly

Did you do anything that might have killed some of the bacteria in the filter? Like absent-mindedly rinse a filter in tap water or letting start to dry out during a PWC?

I know I've made that mistake of rinsing a filter pad in tap water and the chlorine in the tap water killed off a percentage of the bacteria causing an ammonia spike. Fortunately, I didn't kill everything and ammonia was back to proper levels within a few days.

If you had a snail population increase, that could be due to overfeeding. So could algae, and an ammonia spike.

Well I didn't overfeed, I just stopped controlling them lol. I used to scoop em out every day and was near 0 then I stopped and their population went back up.

I tested my water and ammonia was 1-2. I did a 50% wc and wiped off some algae. It's wierd none of the fish seem stressed or anything and their color is normal.

Did you do anything that might have killed some of the bacteria in the filter? Like absent-mindedly rinse a filter in tap water or letting start to dry out during a PWC?

I know I've made that mistake of rinsing a filter pad in tap water and the chlorine in the tap water killed off a percentage of the bacteria causing an ammonia spike. Fortunately, I didn't kill everything and ammonia was back to proper levels within a few days.

It couldve been that I let the bio sponge thing dry out. I don't really know yet.

Back
Top Bottom