10gal FW, doing fine now, problem is....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aridiar

Aquarium Advice Regular
West Virginia or New York, depends if school is in
So first thing I need to tell is what's in my tank. 2 Adult Silver lyretail Mollies, 2 Baby Mollies from her first batch that are about the size of neon tetras that you find in the store (which oddly enough are a male/female pair), probably around 3 dozen baby mollies (probably around .75cm each).
I also have 1 Pleco that is ~3", but I plan on giving that to my sister to help keep algea down in her Cicilid tank and replacing with a pair of Otos, after the tank has been moved (if you know something that would be better please say, just not snails *see signature*)
I have a number of snails that is beyond my ability to count. I was planning on getting something to eat or kill them later.

I have duckweed covering the half of my tank that is not by my filter (an AquaClear 150). There are also a few plants but I don't know what all of them are b/c some of them I had bought from the store to feed my fish over spring break and they started to grow roots **my plants aren't as prolific as my fish, I've assumed b/c of the salt that I add for the mollies**. Ones that I DO know are Banana plant, dwarf Lily, Apongen (something like that, I bought the bulbs at WalMart, same thing for the lily), and a dwindling amount of microsword

My tank has an under the gravel filter with 3 tubes (all running) a AquaClear 150 with the sponge, carbon, and Amrid medias. And a 2.5" bubble disk and air stone (aside from the 3 airstones that I am not counting b/c they are powering the filter), an Ammonia Alert device from Seachem. I have a full hood light with a tube light that is supposed to enhance fish colors and plant growth, which I run 16 or so hours a day (to keep the water temp between 78 and 82 so the babies will grow faster) I've got one fake driftwood log, a glass/porcelain tree stump, and a fake rock archway.

I do water changes every week, sometimes only once every two weeks, sometimes more often. I usually take out one pail of water (~2gal). I've been gradually reducing the salt in my tank by not adding as much when I do water changes, I haven't added any the last 2 times and the plants are starting to look better. I've also started using Florapride.

I feed Spirulina Algea tabs for the pleco (the mollies sometimes eat it first and I have to add another). I feed a mix of crushed food for the baby mollies (TetraMin tropical Flakes, some of the algea tabs, TetraPro Tropical Crisps, freeze-dried Blood Worms and Shrimp). I had been feeding the adults the same types of food except that it wasn't crushed but they seemed to be eating the crushed food more anyway so I just started feeding that instead of both.

I do realize that the filters have pretty strong currents involved considering the babies, but I had them in a 2gal tank for a short period of time (a week, maybe a week and a half), and haven't noticed any significant decrease in the number of babies since i moved them to my 10gal.
I also realize that the easiest solution (and one I would like the most) would be to get a bigger tank, but I live in a dormitory with a limit to 10 gallons per person per room, and I was already breaking the rules with the extra 2 gal tank (which is now stored in my closet until I move out for the summer).

ANYWAY, my questions are:
1-Is my tank over-loaded with fish, even tho they all seem to be fine?
2-How can I get the fish and the plants to my dads alive, without bringing snails and snail eggs to reinfest my tank?
3-Should the tank get reinfested anyway what can I do about the snails?
4-Does anyone want baby mollies? and Can you come pick them up?

Back
Top Bottom