10gal tank suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsuball41

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering if anyone had any ideas about some interesting inhabitants for a 10 gal FW tank...I do realize my options are limited but it's all I have room for.

I kind of have my heart set on a couple of Inca Gold snails...anyone know of any off-the-wall specimens that would get along with the snails and be relatively happy in a 10 gal?

Thanks in advance...

Smaller tetras, long finned zebra danios. Avoid larger gourami's and larger tetras (Especially Beunos aires, too small a tank). Dwarf gouramis might be ok.

Avoid barbs they love snail. they can only eat it a little bite at a time but they will eventually kill em. If you have soft water get a blue rams, my gallery has a picture. or any small cichlid very colorful and have personality.

You can't go wrong with the good old platy. Colourful, lots of varieties, peaceful, hardy and cheap. Plus they eat regular flake food so not a lot of work either.

In my 10 gal I have a red male and blue female betta, raphael catfish and one almost translucent baby goldfish. I did have 2 dwarf powder blue gouramis but they died of...something.

I would avoid the zebra danios in a 10-gal because they really like room to zoom! I have kept a male dwarf gourami in a 10-gal with snails and great success. Maybe 3 pygmy cory cats, too. You can do dwarf puffers, but not with snails. You could get an African dwarf frog, or a single pair of kribs. You could go with a betta and a small school of white clouds.... Oh somebody stop me!

I know how you feel Tankgirl, there are so many combination as long as you don't go mad.

If it was me i would go for a pair of Kribs, i love em. with a nice cave and some plant it won't be long before they would spawn. The down side to that is once they start spawning you wont be able to stop them.

I had 3 dwarf cories, a betta and 5 white cloud minnows in my 10 gallon and everyone was very happy. All pretty cheap and fun fish and I had lots of plants. The betta has since moved to his own tank.

My rams leave my mts alone and never bit the foot of my apples. Doesn't mean they wont they are veeeery curious fish. I cant even net another fish without them wanting to get in the net. I don't know what there thinking! free net rides weeeeeeeee

Ooh. Kribs. I agree. Do something different! So many zebra danio/small tetra tanks out there (e.g. mine :( ). Plus, it'll give you a lot of props on the website to have African Cichlids!!!

Here's a pic: http://www.justbajan.com/pets/fish/species/krebensis/ Though I think they're not just hard to find in "Barbadian" petshops... I've never seen them in any of my LFSs. www.liveaquaria.com does have them for $8 each if you're interested: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=1575

Good luck deciding. Be novel, and be happy!

Probably any dwarf cichild that would go in a 10-gal would leave snails alone. My rams did not bother snails, and my angels have never bothered snails either, except for tiny baby ones that I smoosh first! :wink:

hi guys,
could somebody tell me the latin name for those "white cloud minnows"? I'd love to research them here.

I have heard a lot of people recommend heterandria formosa (don't know the english name) for those tank sizes, although they are hard to get. platys also need quite a lot of space to race ;), as do guppies. What else, there also is the pseudomugil family (gertrudae, furcatus... one of the is called "spotted...." in english). they are really small and beautiful, might be hard to get, and I don't know if it's not close to the limit since you'd better put 6-8 of those.

I think shrimp are the best.... bumble bees or bees or red fire or chrystal red or sri lanka...
If you want to keep the dwarf froggies (so cool! so cute!! I have them!), it'll be hard to find companions, because everybody, I mean everybody, eats their food away before they even notice that there is some...

tell us what you got at last!
s.

EDIT: found out about white cloud minnows. tanichthys albonubes. yep, that's another candidate. rather lower temp. - they say 21° will bring most fry, not very hard water.
the page said the aquarium should be at least ~20" long (~x8x8 probably). have to be kept in group.

How about a Honey Gourami pair? :)

I wouldn't put Danios in a 10 gallon, either. Even if they are small in size, they are very lively and fast swimmers, and a 10 gallon will get small for them fast.

Back
Top Bottom