10gal tea colored...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattfinn

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently just swapped the gravel to river sand in my 10 gal (ecostyle 47) and after three days the water began to go like tea. Now a week later it is like someone's just dropped some earl grey in there... Could something in the river sand be leaching this. I'm planning a large 75%water change tonight when I get home. The sand is from my local hardware store and I use it in my 5 gal betta tank which I've had no issues with. Could It just be that bag?

I spent over an hour washing the sand as I didn't want it clouding on me.

Oh and this is actually my 13yr old brothers tank who I thought was looking after it finally but it turns out it's my responsibility to do all maintenance which I have showed him how to do and he has done before. Apparently though even with 8 weeks of summer holidays he doesn't "have time" to do it. While I'm here on a train at 7am and getting home at 7pm after a day of ballet training and performing water changes and maintenance on both a 26 gal and a 5.... Sorry rant over I just had to get that last bit out, no one else in my family gave a crap.

and yes this is the 10 I'm planning on stocking with CPDs and RCS but at this moment I'll have to get ownership of the tank back first.

Woah I just read how bad that sounds...sorry guys I'm really tired and yes I'm heading in for more training on a Saturday ? #firstweekback

Hmm I know a lot of sands do need a lot of cleaning. I would do a pretty big change and see if it is done. Is there drift wood in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I cleaned the sand thoroughly till it was clear in the bucket.

It's almost been a slow release over a week. Was crystal clear for two days or so.

In the tank is an adult platy and 3 juvies and a mystery snail. I have two pieces of driftwood. One is overgrown with anubias which I've had for two years now and the other is something that I've had since the original set up and is about 6months old.

The drift wood is leaching tannins then. At least that is my guess. You can boil them or soak them in a tub if you don't have a pot big enough

It does seem weird that it started now but that's the only thing o could think of? The sand might have changed something that made the dw leach

This might be a long shot, but is it possible that the sand you used is dyed sand?

As long as fish are ok just use activated carbon to absorb the discoloration

Yeah I might grab some carbon. There isn't any in the filter compartment just filter pad and sponge.

I really doubt it is the driftwood. I boil all driftwood I use thoroughly. The piece that is newer of the two is more of a twig.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be doing the water change when I get home in an hour or so....

Back
Top Bottom