110 gph in a 55 gallon. Is that too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imissmytruck

Aquarium Advice Regular
In my 55, I have struggled with poor circulation at the bottom of my tank. Leaving my sand filthy. I recently added a maxi-jet 400 as a power head. My Sharks seem to love the circulation. But I worry it's too much. What would you all reccommend as proper ground circulation?

I've heard folks using filters that go up to 8x the tank volume in an hour, you sound completely fine. The only time you can "overfilter" is if the extra flow is giving your fish trouble swimming, like if you have guppies, bettas, anything with long, flowy fins. Sharks should do fine :)

550gph total is when you should be worrying about overcirculation.

Thank you very much. Now I am no longer concered about the circulation. My water seems to be a little clearer than normal now as well. It's nice.

Thank you again everyone.

I'd be worried about the filter not being strong enough and leaving some areas of the tank stagnant.

i have 7x on my 55 and have just added in a small internal (500lph) and a sponge ( seeding for fry tank) and im thinking im keeping it on the soft side for the rams

Water circulation and filtration is really 2 different things. What is ur filtration like for ur tank?

Link119 said:
550gph total is when you should be worrying about overcirculation.

Thats actually not that bad. 11x per hour isn't much, but it depends on the species. Obviously, bettas and other long-finned fish would prefer less flow. I had 150gph on my 10g before and the fish never had trouble with it.

I have over 450 gph on my 30 gallon tank and about 250 on my 20 gallon. No one seems to mind.

Water circulation and filtration is really 2 different things. What is ur filtration like for ur tank?

The filtration is good. I run a Fluval 305. It just didn't circulate the bottom of my tank very well from the output. I either have it facing the wrong direction, too high, or too many obstacles in the tank. Couldn't figure it out so I stuck in the maxi-jet to circulate the fish waste from the bottom to the intake of the filter. The water is clean, the sand was dirty.

Back
Top Bottom