120 gallon stocking suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silver beard

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can I put any thing else in my tank? What else can I put in my tank? THANKS,Andrew

What kind of fish are you looking for. Those under 4-in or over? Schooling fish, cichlids, etc. We all have our personal favorites.

I like large schools of small shoaling fish, like neon tetras, glowlight tetras, danios or something similar. I'll add some corydoras with them as well as shrimp. Mollies, platies and swordfish can make nice displays. Male bettas can be good centerpiece fish with any of these. Cichlids can be very interesting fish to watch as well.

Have you seen what I already have in the tank? I am just asking what you think would work good in my tank;). THANKS,Andrew

I didn't see anything listing your stock, so I couldn't know you had an existing tank until I saw your profile.

With the inhabitants of that tank some rams, festivums, pearl gouramis or maybe even a male betta. I love bettas. Swordtails, platies and a few more mollies would be good as well. All these fish are what I would class as "fun" fish as well. Very entertaining to watch go about their business.

I have some great cichlids available that would mix well with your current stock, Australoheros oblongum and Cryptoheros cutteri. Both are mid-size species, males max out around 6", females about 4". The oblongum in particular are very mellow fish, even a spawning pair isn't any threat to other fish. I currently have loads of oblongums ready to pair off; some that I've sold earlier are already spawning in their new tanks. I also have 5-6 proven pairs of cutteri, one pair has 2 week old fry and another just laid eggs.
I also have dozens of BN pleco's if you want a few algae munchers.

The oblongum are $5/each or $25/6, the cutteri are $14/pair (+ shipping.) Priority Mail shipping is fine, I use breather bags and polyfilter.
Pic of cutteri pair in breeding dress:
img_1306846_0_5947c6d20bdb8c0a6bbcec31b0f30ce7.jpg

Swarm of fry:
img_1306846_1_8a4491421fa803ede6155ee6739beee9.jpg

Adult male oblongum:
img_1306846_2_38100a61d5134a1df2722a72b29e27c9.jpg

Female:
img_1306846_3_e48072028d2d66bde68957b35208c628.jpg

Pair together:
img_1306846_4_a118da1d3bdfdce8840c5d8e3bc41caa.jpg

Oblongum fry:
img_1306846_5_c016492cceab36855e951a92c35c902c.jpg

Shouldn't be any conflicts, both species only claim a small territory for spawning. Otherwise, they'd likely ignore the angels and other fish as long as they're too big to eat. I spawned both in 29 gallon tanks, plenty of space for other fish in a 125.

I'm thinking about maybe getting some ram cichlids, would there be room for both?

Rams prefer very warm water similar to discus, which is the opposite of the dojo's; they're cool-water fish like white clouds or goldfish.

Yes,you are correct;) although many people keep dojos in much higher temps than found in there natural habitat. What do you think would look good in my tank?

I have 1 green and 3 red severums, 5 silver dollars, a pair of oblongum, a pair of cutteri, 3 L-204's and 11 polka-dot botia's in my 125 now. Also about a dozen young BN pleco's and a single Synodontis eupterus for cleanup of algae and leftover food. I'm planning to move the Carapo knife fish from the 40 tall when it outgrows that tank, and want to add some other tetras or maybe more silver dollars as well.
Aside from more cichlids a group of rainbows or giant danio's would add some life to the tank. Rosy barbs are colorful and unlikely to hassle your angels.

WOW AWESOME TANK!!! I was thinking of rainbows or rosey barbs:) but I didn't knbow if I had the room for them in the tank?

I like Rosy Barbs, they are real characters and are very pretty fish, but be careful. They can be fin nippers and some can be fairly aggressive. Rainbows would probably be OK though.

I'd have to characterize rosy barbs as rather dimwitted schooling fish. Pretty colors and rather flashy, but no apparent brains or "personality" like cichlids. Sort of like a bunch of Homer Simpsons if flakes were donuts... :lol:

Generally $15 for a medium flat-rate Priority Mail box and breather bags. That size will hold up to 4 bags, 1-3 fish in each bag depending on size. Small box/single bag is usually around $10, $20 for a large flat-rate box.

Back
Top Bottom